none
FineTuning newly installed SQL Server 2012 Developer

Question

• Hi everyone,

I just finished installing SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition on my VISTA SP2 machine.  The whole setup ended successfully without any error reported. 

I'm now at the step of finetuning my SQL environment and honestly need your help on these subjects:

1. SQL Server 2008 items installed...

When looking at my startup menu, I surprisingly noticed the presence of a "Microsoft SQL Server 2008" menu item structured the following way:

• Microsoft SQL Server 2008
          -  Configuration Tools
                              -  SQL Server Installation Center

Looking at the “configuration panel” under “installed programs”, I also found the following items:

• Microsoft SQL  Server 2008 R2 Management Objects
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup Support Files

What is the use of SQL Server 2008?  Can I get rid of those two installed items?

2.When at the “Server Configuration” step,  regarding the account name we had to provide for each service, I just kept the ones provided by default:

• SQL Server Browser:                                                  NT AUTHORITY\LOCALSERVICE
    • SQL Server Integration Services 11.0:                         NT UTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE
    • SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)                                       NT AUTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE
    • SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER)                             NT AUTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE
    • SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher (MSSQLSERVER) NT AUTHORITY\LOCALSERVICE
    • SQL Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER)                     NT AUTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE

As it was recommended to use local user account with administrator permissions, might this kind of configuration cause me any issue?

3. As I want to keep all my resources as low as possible, using the SQL Server 2012 Configuration Manager, I also changed the start mode of the following services to “manual”

• SQL Server Integration Services 11.0
    • SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)
    • SQL Server Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER)

I also noticed that the service “SQL Server VSS Writer” was also set to “automatic” and already started.  Can I also put this service start mode to “manual” without any impact?

The reason I want to put these services startup mode to "manual" is to only start them when needed by the mean of a batch file.

4. Still in SQL Server Configuration Manager, regarding the Protocols, it was recommended to enable all three protocols listed:

• Shared Memory          (actually enabled by default)
    • Named Pipes               (actually disabled)
    • TCP/IP                        (actually disabled)

Would this practice be recommended in my case?

5. It is also recommended to add the “Report Manager” to the “Trusted Sites” on Internet Explorer.  

Is this step recommended in my case? If so, what should I use as the “Report Manager URL”? 

I also read that some simply put the URL name in "Local Intranet" section (medium-low security level) instead of "Trusted Sites" section (medium security level).

As I will be programming and testing local reports, which security level is appropriate?

6. Microsoft Update

Finally, among the list I got, I disabled the "SQL Server 2012 SP1" update as we already discussed but also noticed the presence of the following update:

• Mìse à jour de sécurité pour SQL Server 2012 RTM (KB2716442)

As "SQL Server 2012 CU1" is scheduled to be installed next.  Should this security update be installed before or after installing “SQL Server 2012 CU1”?

That's all!

Hope to hear back soon and close the loop!

Stéphane

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Stéphane,

1 This is normal you can see the SQL Server 2008 items, it is used for downward compatibility, it will not impact us to use SQL Server 2012 normally. It is better keep them there and don't uninstall.

2 It was recommended to use local user account because some configuration may need to write acess to your local files,but it is a quite high permission an may cause some security issue if others got this account and may modify your important files. However, I think it is better to use the default service account"NT AUTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE", if your configuration need to write acess to your local files, we can only provide write access for specific files for this service account.

3 The SQL Writer Service provides added functionality for backup and restore of SQL Server through the Volume Shadow Copy Service framework.The SQL Writer Service is installed automatically. It must be running when the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) application requests a backup or restore. The VSS is a set of COM APIs that implements a framework to allow volume backups to be performed while applications on a system continue to write to the volumes. The VSS provides a consistent interface that allows coordination between user applications that update data on disk (writers) and those that back up applications (requestors). Personally, I don't recommend disable it because I think you may need backup operation.

4 If you don't need remote connection related operation for this SQL Server, you can keep it default, but in most cases, we recommend enable it in case SQL Server connection problems.

5 Deploying Reporting Services on Windows operating system requires additional configuration steps if you want to administer a report server instance locally.

please try following steps to add the report manager url to the trusted sites in Internet Explorer:

1.Open Internet Explore.
    2.Click the menu “Tools” -- > "Internet Options…”.
    3.Select the tab “Security” --> "Intranet sites” or “Trusted sites” zone.
    4.Click “Add” button to add the report server site to such zone.
    5.Click “Custom Level”, and then check “Auto login with current user name and password”.

6 Cumulative update package 1 for Microsoft SQL Server 2012 contains hotfixes for issues that were fixed after the release of SQL Server 2012. We recommend that you test hotfixes before you deploy them in a production environment. Because the builds are cumulative, each new fix release contains all the hotfixes and all the security fixes that were included with the previous SQL Server 2012 fix release. We recommend that you consider applying the most recent fix release that contains this hotfix.Please note that The hotfixes in this cumulative update package is included in SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 (SP1). Additionally,a security issue has been identified in the SQL Server 2012 RTM that could allow an attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Thanks

Candy Zhou

Friday, September 27, 2013 6:06 AM
  • Hi,

2  In case of some permission issue,leave them as they are, I mean, keep this account"LOCALSERVICE" there is fine.

3 When the SQL Writer Service is not running, backup programs running in Windows do not have access to the data files, and backups must be performed using SQL Server backup.Use the SQL Writer Service to permit Windows backup programs to copy SQL Server data files while SQL Server is running. If you don't need backup related operation, disable it is OK.But I recommend enable it and personally, there is no other program/application using this service apart SQL Server.

6 Nomally, we will according to the release date to install the previous one, then install the latest one. So please install KB2716442 first then CU1.

Thanks

Candy Zhou

Friday, October 04, 2013 8:42 AM
  • Hi,

No, not computer backup,there is nothing to do with windows level backup and restore.Use the SQL Writer Service is just to permit some Windows managed backup programs to copy SQL Server data files while SQL Server is running.

Thanks

Candy Zhou

Monday, October 07, 2013 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Stéphane,

1 This is normal you can see the SQL Server 2008 items, it is used for downward compatibility, it will not impact us to use SQL Server 2012 normally. It is better keep them there and don't uninstall.

2 It was recommended to use local user account because some configuration may need to write acess to your local files,but it is a quite high permission an may cause some security issue if others got this account and may modify your important files. However, I think it is better to use the default service account"NT AUTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE", if your configuration need to write acess to your local files, we can only provide write access for specific files for this service account.

3 The SQL Writer Service provides added functionality for backup and restore of SQL Server through the Volume Shadow Copy Service framework.The SQL Writer Service is installed automatically. It must be running when the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) application requests a backup or restore. The VSS is a set of COM APIs that implements a framework to allow volume backups to be performed while applications on a system continue to write to the volumes. The VSS provides a consistent interface that allows coordination between user applications that update data on disk (writers) and those that back up applications (requestors). Personally, I don't recommend disable it because I think you may need backup operation.

4 If you don't need remote connection related operation for this SQL Server, you can keep it default, but in most cases, we recommend enable it in case SQL Server connection problems.

5 Deploying Reporting Services on Windows operating system requires additional configuration steps if you want to administer a report server instance locally.

please try following steps to add the report manager url to the trusted sites in Internet Explorer:

1.Open Internet Explore.
    2.Click the menu “Tools” -- > "Internet Options…”.
    3.Select the tab “Security” --> "Intranet sites” or “Trusted sites” zone.
    4.Click “Add” button to add the report server site to such zone.
    5.Click “Custom Level”, and then check “Auto login with current user name and password”.

6 Cumulative update package 1 for Microsoft SQL Server 2012 contains hotfixes for issues that were fixed after the release of SQL Server 2012. We recommend that you test hotfixes before you deploy them in a production environment. Because the builds are cumulative, each new fix release contains all the hotfixes and all the security fixes that were included with the previous SQL Server 2012 fix release. We recommend that you consider applying the most recent fix release that contains this hotfix.Please note that The hotfixes in this cumulative update package is included in SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 (SP1). Additionally,a security issue has been identified in the SQL Server 2012 RTM that could allow an attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Thanks

Candy Zhou

Friday, September 27, 2013 6:06 AM
  • Hi Candy,

Thank you for providing all details. If you don't mind, I would like to come back on a few points.

2. I'm actually using SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition and am still at this moment in the learning process along with VS2010 Professional. If I change the "SQL Server Browser" and "SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher " for NETWORKSERVICE instead of LOCALSERVICE, I'm honestly not experienced enough to measure the impact. I need to be able to manage my SQL tables, my queries, to program, compile, run my applications without any problem. Simply said, I need to do whatever a normal programmer would do when developing applications in a SQL Server environment. Should I finally change those two services or leave them as is?

3. In the meantime, since my first post, I made some tests and deactivated the SQL Writer service.  I then tested the impact by launching/disabling it using batch files.  Seems at first site to work without any problem.  Can you confirm that there is no other program/application using this service apart SQL Server? 

6. I read some posts about problems involving SP1.  I was finally recommended by other folks on this forum

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/3065f7e8-bacf-403a-8565-b804a966c044/installing-sql-2012-developer-with-reporting-services-the-right-way

to just install CU1 and wait for SP2 hoping that problems will be fixed.  Going back to my original question, what would be the appropriate install sequence:

1. CU1 then KB2716442     or   2. KB2716442 then CU1

Thanks again for helping.  I appreciate.

Stéphane

Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:09 AM
  • Hi,

2  In case of some permission issue,leave them as they are, I mean, keep this account"LOCALSERVICE" there is fine.

3 When the SQL Writer Service is not running, backup programs running in Windows do not have access to the data files, and backups must be performed using SQL Server backup.Use the SQL Writer Service to permit Windows backup programs to copy SQL Server data files while SQL Server is running. If you don't need backup related operation, disable it is OK.But I recommend enable it and personally, there is no other program/application using this service apart SQL Server.

6 Nomally, we will according to the release date to install the previous one, then install the latest one. So please install KB2716442 first then CU1.

Thanks

Candy Zhou

Friday, October 04, 2013 8:42 AM
  • Hi Candy,

Thanks again for helping.  I appreciate. 

I would like to come back on item #3 if you don't mind.

Actually all databases I'm using for development are located on external disks and "attached" to SQL Server 2012. 

The other databases, which are probably used for "administrative" purposes by SQL Server itself, are located on my C: drive where SQL Server is actually installed.

Now regarding your explanation about the SQL Services must I understand that, if I want any SQL databases located on my c: drive to be included in my backup, I should always be sure that the SQL Writer service is up and running before starting any "Computer backup" (in French: "Sauvegarder l'ordinateur") using VISTA's "Backup & Restore Center" ?

Thanks again for helping,

Stéphane

Friday, October 04, 2013 9:04 PM
  • Hi,

No, not computer backup,there is nothing to do with windows level backup and restore.Use the SQL Writer Service is just to permit some Windows managed backup programs to copy SQL Server data files while SQL Server is running.

Thanks

Candy Zhou

Monday, October 07, 2013 10:00 AM
  • Hi Candy,

Thanks for details provided. 

One thing I would like your opinion.  A few days ago, I've be advised to rather upgrade to SP1 and CU5 because of security issues.

I've taken a look at SP1 and honestly have serious concerns about the install itself.  Mainly for this problem reported:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2793634/en-us

What is the final verdict at this moment?  Should I install SP1 after having downloaded the install package or rather use Microsoft Update?   

If I was stuck with this "startup" problem, how do I get out of this?

I could also read that, once SQL 2012 is upgraded to SP1, it is recommended to apply the following security update

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36215

or else install the latest SP1 Cumulative update which would be CU6. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2874879/en

What SP1 install sequence would you recommend?

Thanks again for helping,

Stéphane

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 1:37 AM
  • Hi Stéphane,

Actually, your original thread will be missing our deadline soon, if you are satisfied with my solution, please mark this issue as "Answered". Please also feel free to unmark the issue, with any new findings or concerns you may have.

Additionally, please open a new case to post the latest question on the forum as we can assist you further within the case processing days.

Thanks

Candy Zhou
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 5:50 AM