none
PowerMap annotation issue

Question

• Hi,

I have some problems in PowerMap:

1. When i play a tour the navigation buttons are gone from the screen, and ESC key does not work if I've paused the presentation, the buttons will be visible if I run PowerMap on a extended display though (this worked in the GeoFlow version).

2. In the previous version I was able to add several annotations at once (by holding ctrl and then right click), now this does not work for me, it will only add one at a time which is kind of annoying.

3. When I add annotations (with longitudes/latitudes) they disappear when I switch to another scene and back again. I can see that they are still there when I right click because the "edit annotation" is still there but the annotations are not visible. It works if I only create one scene, add an annotation, and then plays the tour or if I add an annotation at the first scene and then plays the tour directly. It also works with "Country/Region" but not with the coordinates. I've downloaded the latest graphics drivers to my HP8470P (Intel) and it also worked good in the previous version. I have DirectX11 and all the system requirements are met. Any suggestions? Very good that you fixed so that the tooltips are static! Regards / Gustaf

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:19 PM

Answers

• Yes. You almost quote every word I said in my first post, I know how to select several points and as I said, it worked in the previous version (GEOFLOW) but it does not work now (POWERMAP). I forgot to mention the left clicking to choose the points but I assumed that it was crystal clear.

Are there any bugs related to specific computer models except Lenovo? We all use HP in my office and we all have the bugs mentioned in my first post.

Just to be clear I will state my concerns again:

1. When I play a tour the navigation buttons are gone from the screen (switching to another screen or ending the presentation etc). The ESC key does not work either. It only works if I play the tour on an extended display. This first concern worked without any problems in the GeoFlow-version.

2. In the GeoFlow presentation I use to add several annotations for several points at once (by holding ctrl, left click the points, right click when done and then "Add annotation"). Now, in the PowerMap-version, when I do this, it only adds ONE annotation at the point where I actually "right click". This worked perfect in the GeoFlow-version.

3. My last concern is that the added annotations disappear (only when using coordinates), please read the details in my first post. 

Please no more "how to use PowerMap"-replies.

Thanks

Gustaf

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:37 PM
  • Hi Gustaf,

I'm sorry, I didn't see your request for a screen shot... Here you go, Eugene and Portland are selected, and Seattle is not:

Thanks,

Anita

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:55 PM
  • 1. When I play a tour the navigation buttons are gone from the screen (switching to another screen or ending the presentation etc). The ESC key does not work either. It only works if I play the tour on an extended display. This first concern worked without any problems in the GeoFlow-version.

I faced this same issue while I was demoing my Power Map presentation in the recent PASS Summit 2013 (and I have a Dell laptop). This issue started with the new update and happens only if I am duplicating my screen to a lower resolution (for eg, I had an HDMI port and I was trying to project into a VGA Port which just had a 1024 * 768 resolution or so). It worked on Extended displays without any issues.

A resolution I found out was that if I double click (maybe do it a 3-4 times) on the top left hand part of the tour window in presentation mode, the tour window detached itself and now I could resize it. And once I maximized it back, the navigation buttons and the pause feature and all appeared back. Definitely a bug but I also didn't report it as it is very difficult to reproduce (I need to project it to reproduce that issue, and need to project from a high resolution laptop to a low resolution projector). I think it also happened when my screen resolution was lowered to the least one that I had, but not so sure. Either ways, the resolution works.

Cheers,
    Jason | www.SqlJason.com
    P.S. : Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button if a post solves your problem! :)

Some Random Thoughts

Follow me on Twitter

Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:56 PM
  • Hi Anita,

Thanks for looking into this. What do you mean by "is the selection outline showing on all the data points while you add the annotations"? When I select, for instance, two data points, one popup box will appear. Could you provide a print screen?

If you want, I can record all the bugs that I experience, maybe that would be easier to troubleshoot?

Thank you

Gustaf 

You can also report bugs on Connect and by using the Smile / Frown feature in the Power Map UI.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, December 16, 2013 7:54 PM
    Owner

All replies

• What is your operating system. There's a known issue where the nav buttons are covered in Windows Server 2008.

Regards,
    Anita

Thursday, October 03, 2013 8:08 PM
  • Windows 7 x64. The nav buttons are not a big problem since I found a workaround with the extended display. 

How about the annotations? Any suggestion?

Regards,

Gustaf

Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:11 AM
  • You can add several annotations at once first selecting the point(s) (by holding ctrl and left clicking). Once you select all the points you want to annotate, you can then right click and add annotation for the selected points.

Thank you

Bilgehan (MSFT)

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Yes. You almost quote every word I said in my first post, I know how to select several points and as I said, it worked in the previous version (GEOFLOW) but it does not work now (POWERMAP). I forgot to mention the left clicking to choose the points but I assumed that it was crystal clear.

Are there any bugs related to specific computer models except Lenovo? We all use HP in my office and we all have the bugs mentioned in my first post.

Just to be clear I will state my concerns again:

1. When I play a tour the navigation buttons are gone from the screen (switching to another screen or ending the presentation etc). The ESC key does not work either. It only works if I play the tour on an extended display. This first concern worked without any problems in the GeoFlow-version.

2. In the GeoFlow presentation I use to add several annotations for several points at once (by holding ctrl, left click the points, right click when done and then "Add annotation"). Now, in the PowerMap-version, when I do this, it only adds ONE annotation at the point where I actually "right click". This worked perfect in the GeoFlow-version.

3. My last concern is that the added annotations disappear (only when using coordinates), please read the details in my first post. 

Please no more "how to use PowerMap"-replies.

Thanks

Gustaf

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:37 PM
  • Hi Gustaf,

I can try to test the annotation issue. I do not reproduce the navigation button issue. You might try a different screen resolution. Let me get back to you later today on the annotation problems.

Regards,
    Anita

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:57 PM
  • Ok, I can't test that out this afternoon, as Power Map will not install on the late build of Office I have on my machine. I will be in the office with my other machines tomorrow morning, and I'll set a reminder to test there.

Anita

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:24 PM
  • I tried to reproduce the annotation issue, but cannot. I have had some trouble on one machine or another actually getting the multiple selections working, but if the selection outlines are showing on the data points, both annotations do get added, and they stay there when I switch to another scene and back.

When you experience this problem, is the selection outline showing on all the data points while you add the annotations?

Thanks,
    Anita

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:59 PM
  • Hi Anita,

Thanks for looking into this. What do you mean by "is the selection outline showing on all the data points while you add the annotations"? When I select, for instance, two data points, one popup box will appear. Could you provide a print screen?

If you want, I can record all the bugs that I experience, maybe that would be easier to troubleshoot?

Thank you

Gustaf 

Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Hi Anita,

Thank you

Gustaf 

You can also report bugs on Connect and by using the Smile / Frown feature in the Power Map UI.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, December 16, 2013 7:54 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Gustaf,

I'm sorry, I didn't see your request for a screen shot... Here you go, Eugene and Portland are selected, and Seattle is not:

Thanks,

Anita

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:55 PM
  • 1. When I play a tour the navigation buttons are gone from the screen (switching to another screen or ending the presentation etc). The ESC key does not work either. It only works if I play the tour on an extended display. This first concern worked without any problems in the GeoFlow-version.

I faced this same issue while I was demoing my Power Map presentation in the recent PASS Summit 2013 (and I have a Dell laptop). This issue started with the new update and happens only if I am duplicating my screen to a lower resolution (for eg, I had an HDMI port and I was trying to project into a VGA Port which just had a 1024 * 768 resolution or so). It worked on Extended displays without any issues.

A resolution I found out was that if I double click (maybe do it a 3-4 times) on the top left hand part of the tour window in presentation mode, the tour window detached itself and now I could resize it. And once I maximized it back, the navigation buttons and the pause feature and all appeared back. Definitely a bug but I also didn't report it as it is very difficult to reproduce (I need to project it to reproduce that issue, and need to project from a high resolution laptop to a low resolution projector). I think it also happened when my screen resolution was lowered to the least one that I had, but not so sure. Either ways, the resolution works.

Cheers,
    Jason | www.SqlJason.com
    P.S. : Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button if a post solves your problem! :)

Some Random Thoughts

Follow me on Twitter

Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:56 PM
  • Hi Anita,

Yes of course I know how to do a multiple selection. As I said I've worked with both GeoFlow and PowerMap and I know how to design the reports. The problems I encounter must have something to do with hardware, I've tested every possible workaround but I still have all the problems described in my first post.

I'm waiting for the next version, hopefully you will release it soon (with backward compatibility!)

Regards

Gustaf

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one encountered these bugs. Actually it worked to do your triple click trick but I cannot re-size the window. But the most annoying bug is still the annotation issue, they won't stick. I can add them but they disappear in presentation mode.

Regards

Gustaf

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 7:35 AM