none
DISK DEFRAGMENTER QUESTION

Question

• Is there a way to start disk defragmenter WITHOUT task scheduler? I find is bizarre that I even need task scheduler because I don't even schedule specific defragment times! I don't have a schedule I just manually defragment the computer myself with the program when I want to. I do not want to use task scheduler because it then requires me to turn on windows event log which slows down my games and it requires a restart and I don't have the time for that, for instance, I need to keep it on at school so I can stay logged in on both my steam accounts and during lunch I can play split screen with my friends. if I restart, I loose my login. I always defragment every night and its done by the morning. but by the time I go to turn it off I have to pack up to go to school so then I have no time to login making the restart a waste of time. any thoughts on how to run disk defragmenter without task scheduler or run task scheduler without windows event log?
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• Brandeeno333

Just a note in passing

You are defragging far to often and run the increased risk of bricking your OS.  In win 7 & 8 there is no need to run defragger any more often than weekly (or dare I say it monthly)

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:06 AM
  • Thank you very much, I had no idea that daily defragmentation can brick an OS. I was under the impression that it is better than weekly or monthly. An example of what someone told me is, "It's like cleaning your room every night." I don't quite understand how it could brick my OS, if you could explain how that would brick my OS that would be great because I am trying to learn about computers as much as possible.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowleadge, it’s better to run disk fragmentation when the percentage fragmented of the disk is above 10%.

For more information about the issue, please see the answer in the following thread.

How often do I run disc cleanup and disc defragmenter?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/how-often-do-i-run-disc-cleanup-and-disc/6ab0217c-7276-406f-9880-9e9f16a3d6dd

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:26 AM
  • Brandeeno

V-ada is correct that if fragmentation reaches 10% you should de-frag but to have that happen in a day is almost impossible (10% of a 60 gig partition would be 6gigs of fragmentation).  When you de-frag you move data and nothing is perfect.  Just a single block of data move to the wrong sector (or a bad sector) can indeed stuff the OS.  The more frequently you move it the higher your chance statistically that might happen.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:04 AM