none
Cant Activate 8.1 Pro on new PC

Question

• Hi Technet 

I recently bought a new toshiba notebook which came preinstalled with windows 8 standard, i am trying to do a clean install of window 8.1pro but even though my key will work on install, when i get to activation screen it shows the wrong product ID and in turn will not allow me to activate.. I called MS and they confirmed i have a legit Valid windows 8.1pro key but their support department is closed until monday and i am trying to get this solved before then if possible..

unlike others who have had similar problems, for me when i install 8.1 pro it actually installs 8.1 pro, but i think its installing it with my bios key i am not sure..  

I have tried creating a usb install and then replaced the install.wim file with one that is meant to ignore the bios key but that didnt help, the phone activation numbers were still the same as the ones that originally failed and the product ID was still wrong..

does anyone have a solution please, i would really like to use my pc asap and not have to wait until monday..

thanks

Huss

Sunday, December 08, 2013 12:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Kelvin MS was a big waste of time, even though they had confirmed my key was valid & they tried to remote login and help, honestly they had no idea were to go on my pc, he logged in did nothing then logged out, later after they transferred me to another section, they asked for my number & email in case they need to ring back. as they failed  to activate, i dont know but they must of realized i had a dreamspark account with my msdn subscription because ot was linked to the email i gave.
    So they assumed it was a DS key. which is a total load a rubbish.. 

anyway i tried another key and it work flawlessly i didnt have to edit install.wim or add a PID file to sources.

later i retried my key back on the old hp it was installed on and guess what it worked.. so even though i deactivated and uninstalled win 8 off my old pc, the key still wouldnt work on a new pc.. 

overall i wasted a spare win8.1 pro key i owned because MS cant get their act together, and i also wasted 3days.

i want to try calling MS first of all to complain about their useless support & secondly to see if they can remove the hp activation off my key so that it can be reused.. my hp cant last 3hrs without crashing.. i spilt coffee all over it lol and was too lazy to pull it apart, so i left it to dry and went bought a new pc..

it was a dualcore that was struggling with todays apps and OS..

thanks for the help :)

Huss

• Marked as answer by Husskii Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:44 AM
    Monday, December 09, 2013 11:44 PM

All replies

• after installation, you might need to re-enter the product key and re-activate it.

try the "SLUI 04" or "SLUI 03" tip here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-8/activation-errors

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Sunday, December 08, 2013 2:13 AM
    Sunday, December 08, 2013 2:12 AM
  • Hi Don thanks for the reply, i tried your suggestions and below is the outcome

1: i tried slui 03 and it says the key didnt work, please check it and try again.

but the key is valid and ms confirmed it earlier today, i think maybe it thinks it has standard edition intalled but not sure..

2: when i try slui 04 it gives me the same set of phone activation numberts that i get after install, and those numbers were incorrect..

Huss

Sunday, December 08, 2013 5:17 AM
  • Did you purchase an "upgrade" or "full version" of Windows 8 Pro?

Carey Frisch

Sunday, December 08, 2013 5:51 AM
  • Hi Carey

i purchased a full version, windows 8.1 pro RTM

thanks

Huss

Sunday, December 08, 2013 7:26 AM
  • Are you using the Windows 8.1 Pro product key?  The original Windows 8 product key will not work with Windows 8.1 installation media.

Carey Frisch

Monday, December 09, 2013 3:42 AM
  • Hi Huss,

Meanwhile, I suggest we I suggest you contact Microsoft Product Activation Center by telephone to verify the product key and activate it.

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center by telephone:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

Keep post.

Regards,

Kelvin hsu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 09, 2013 9:53 AM
  • Hi Kelvin MS was a big waste of time, even though they had confirmed my key was valid & they tried to remote login and help, honestly they had no idea were to go on my pc, he logged in did nothing then logged out, later after they transferred me to another section, they asked for my number & email in case they need to ring back. as they failed  to activate, i dont know but they must of realized i had a dreamspark account with my msdn subscription because ot was linked to the email i gave.
    So they assumed it was a DS key. which is a total load a rubbish.. 

anyway i tried another key and it work flawlessly i didnt have to edit install.wim or add a PID file to sources.

later i retried my key back on the old hp it was installed on and guess what it worked.. so even though i deactivated and uninstalled win 8 off my old pc, the key still wouldnt work on a new pc.. 

overall i wasted a spare win8.1 pro key i owned because MS cant get their act together, and i also wasted 3days.

i want to try calling MS first of all to complain about their useless support & secondly to see if they can remove the hp activation off my key so that it can be reused.. my hp cant last 3hrs without crashing.. i spilt coffee all over it lol and was too lazy to pull it apart, so i left it to dry and went bought a new pc..

it was a dualcore that was struggling with todays apps and OS..

thanks for the help :)

Huss

• Marked as answer by Husskii Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:44 AM
    Monday, December 09, 2013 11:44 PM
  • Hello,

Open an elevated CMD prompt.

Run cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv >act.txt

Post the content of act.txt in your reply.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 6:39 PM