none
Installing & Configuring RMS Server

Question

• Hey Guys,

I'm not much good with RMS, so I'm quiet unsure what it will cause when I install on a live server running within our office network. Well, I kind of have an idea about what RMS does & why implementing it. But what I don't know is how to install it and configure it without interrupting the network. I've gone through several search and read a lot of article on these but still unsure as to whether I'm ready to implement it. What I would like to know is;

• I have a separate domain controller and I'm planning to install RMS on a  another server (both has 2008 enterprise version)
    • Do I have to install AD FS to run RMS. if so which server should I install (is on the same RMS server that I'm installing), how can I check whether AD FS is installed
    • Do I really need to install SQL. If so, can I also install it on the same server where I install RMS.
    • How do I enable external access (if available so)

I'm pretty much unsure and I don't have much resources to implement a testing environment. Kindly advise me how am I suppose to achieve it without any issues.

Thank you in advance.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

if you install RMS on a DC you must add the rms user account to the built-in administrators group what gives that users to much access, so best is to install RMS on a member server.

ADFS is not a requirement for RMS, but ADFS can be used for authentication purpose for external users. 

SQL is required to support a RMS cluster with more then one node. Note, the word cluster is used in RMS speak but it is not a Windows cluster and does not provide the same functionality. All nodes in a RMS cluster use the same database settings and thats why you need a full SQL server and not just the Express version.

You can publish RMS to the internet and create accounts in your AD. See this for other options http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg313778.aspx

Hope that helps,

Lutz

Monday, January 20, 2014 3:02 PM
  • Hi LutzMH,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking time and pointing out things as I did not find a proper tutorial to accomplish this though I was able get it installed by looking at few videos. What I did so far is just installed the service on a separate server environment with the default RMS features itself. And I've created a CNAME record to point the A record of the server under DNS manager. I've also asked a question regarding RMS & SQL since my requirment is to use this only on office products for internal and external users.

I've just tried testing internally with office products under the permission where the application connects to rms server requesting for authentication. Now I do not know how to start implementing templates for internal and external use to protect documents. If someone can advise me or guide me through a simple and understandable tutorial, It will be a grate help!

Thanks in advance.

Monday, January 27, 2014 1:11 PM