none
VPN Client access network resources, internet, and be able to send email via Thunderbird.

Question

• First let me apologize if this is not the best location for this. I tend not to post on forums as I rather use what reasources are already available to me in the form of other users questions and guides I can find. That aside I thank any and all who take the time to help me with this.

I am charged with getting a Windows 7 client able to VPN remotely to our internal server which is currently MS Server 2003 to access various files and the like. Pretty standard stuff. I have this set up with VPN server on the Server 2003 machine and the client machine that will be remote connecting already configured. I can connect to our network without any trouble and access the files I need. However, this client machine is used by the company owner who is one of our book keepers. So simply accessing the files is not enough. She will need internet access and more pointed she will need to be able to send email through the VPN with Thunderbird. She has Charter internet at her home which blocks port 25 so she cannot send emails through Thunderbird, they simply go nowhere. My problem is configuring a method to make this possible. Ideally once connected to the VPN she should be able to access the internet, our network files, and send email through Thunderbird. 

Now I have done some digging and I can do the first two as I stated, but configuring Thunderbird to be able to send emails is stumping me. I have read various methods, including static routing or a socks proxy or something like that. We have a Comcast connect that hits our router, then switch, and then the Server 2003. I could really use some pointers on where to start with this and just what might be the best solution. I have seen Static Routing mentioned quite a bit, but as I have not dealt with this sort of thing before I am a kind of at my wits end on just how exactly to implement it if it would even work. So I charge you Microsoft Community, with offering up any suggestions. I can post further details if needed, as I said I do not post in forums as I wish not to add to the laundry list of posts, but I have been unable to sort this one out. I thank you all ahead of time for your time and consideration in this matter. Thank you immensely!

Thursday, May 01, 2014 10:33 PM

Answers

• There is two possible method to achieve it; (as I guess you dont have a Exchange,s server, as it would be the solution)

1 - If you got a public smtp server at your main office. Make a route, if your comcast smtp server is like 10.10.10.10, then route add 10.10.10.10 mask 255.255.255.255. Almsot all new routers can send the route to the remote PC when they will connect in VPN, so no need to manually set it. You set thunderbird to send the email via your main office ISP in big.

2 - You setup the smtp's role on your 2003 server to relay email. That way thunderbird got the IP of your 2003 server as it's SMTP's server. How to Configure a Windows Server 2003 Server as a Relay Server or Smart Host

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, May 02, 2014 1:16 AM

All replies

• There is two possible method to achieve it; (as I guess you dont have a Exchange,s server, as it would be the solution)

1 - If you got a public smtp server at your main office. Make a route, if your comcast smtp server is like 10.10.10.10, then route add 10.10.10.10 mask 255.255.255.255. Almsot all new routers can send the route to the remote PC when they will connect in VPN, so no need to manually set it. You set thunderbird to send the email via your main office ISP in big.

2 - You setup the smtp's role on your 2003 server to relay email. That way thunderbird got the IP of your 2003 server as it's SMTP's server. How to Configure a Windows Server 2003 Server as a Relay Server or Smart Host

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, May 02, 2014 1:16 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Philippe, I am going to try those first thing in the morning when I get into the office. Yeah, we are switching to an Exchange server, once we upgrade from Server 2003 to something more in this decade. We use Rackspace I think it is or something like that for our email at the moment.  I have been there less than a month so I am still sorting out everything they got going on. I appreciate your reply and I will report here how it goes and mark as Answered if it works. The bosses are eager to get this done so I will have to sort it out one way or another. Thank you again!
    Friday, May 02, 2014 2:05 AM