none
Share Name, Printer Name and display name for End User

Question

• We are being forced to standardize printer names.  So, for example, a printer that is on the print server might have the following properties:

NAME: PR25739

SHARE NAME: Clinic Admin Office

SERVER NAME: A700500

The share name seems to be pointless - almost vestigial.  When a user maps to the printer, it is named (on their device) PR25739 on A700500.  They can't change it, I can't change it - indeed, the Name field is disabled during the Install Printer Wizard.  The whole point of the share name, to me, is to make something that is user-friendly with context and useful information.  But the sharename seems to be completely ignored.  Is there any setting I can change that will make this printer map so that it is displayed to the user as Clinic Admin Office or even Clinic Admin Office on A700500?  Solutions that must take place on the EUD are not solutions - the name needs to be correct out of the box.

Thanks.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:41 PM

Answers

• The UI will always display the "printer name".  The share name is used by the spooler subsystem.  Can standardization be on the share name rather than printer name?

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Friday, December 20, 2013 7:13 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• The UI will always display the "printer name".  The share name is used by the spooler subsystem.  Can standardization be on the share name rather than printer name?

Friday, December 20, 2013 7:13 AM
    Answerer
  • Unfortunately, no.  The standardization mandate specifically states "printer name" - changing the Share Name was my last ditch attempt to inject some sense and serve my users.  Right now, I have 5 printers mapped, and they look like this:

• PR25737 on A700500
    • PR25739 on A700500
    • PR12336 on A700500
    • PR35127 on A700500
    • PR29764 on A700500

I know to use the location field in the printer dialog, but I don't expect my users will - and without that, even I can't keep up with what printer goes to what physical device.

Friday, December 20, 2013 1:07 PM
  • Make sure the group making this decision sees the issue they have created. If this creates service / help desk calls that cost time and money, maybe that can change perspective.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 8:11 AM
    Answerer