none
Windows server 2012 essentials r2 media streaming?

Question

• Hello, I have server 2012 r2 essentials and I cant find the streaming options for media? has Microsoft removed this feature? thank you.
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Please install media pack, it will enable your streaming option.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40837&WT.mc_id=rss_alldownloads_all

Regards,

MD Disclaimer: The opinion expressed herein are my own knowledge. Deploy this at your own risk. Whenever you see a helpful reply, just click on “Propose As Answer” / “Marked As Answer” and please do "VOTE".

Monday, October 28, 2013 6:15 AM
  • Media Pack won't install on Essentials R2. Just installed the OS with updates. Keep getting an error that recommends checking for windows updates, then has no other useful help. Any ideas?
    Saturday, November 02, 2013 12:36 AM
  • Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:10 AM
  • How do i manage my music & videos, do i still need to use Windows Media Player ? WMP is soo outdated, i cant manage TV Shows in WMP, there is no option to add Season/Episode information. Had lot of issues with managing and refreshing media in WMP in WHS. It used to show files that i already deleted for days. Really like the feature/option to play my media on the web but this is half baked product, needs lot of work.
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 12:43 AM
  • David;

would you please give me your opinion on my project?  I have not found definitive info yet.

I am a little out-of-it in respect to the current Windows Media platform...however, I am extremely familiar with using WME9 to live stream to WMS2003, and pull the stream into a WMP via an URL (FYI - 2009 is when I got out of Windows streaming).

I now have a small school project with about 50 users and a robust local network looking to stream a student produced daily meeting into the classrooms. I intend to use VMix and WME9 (or Expression?) on a PC for the head-end, along with cameras...

I have tested the above described configuration with my "old" WME9 and server 2003 technology and it works well. I also intended on creating a Scheduled Task that pops up the player at 8AM daily, looking to the static server and publishing point, as the server looks at the live WME9 encoder and its port. My test stream profile was about 1200Kbs in SD (640x480). There were no network issues on the same subnet.

What I would like to know is what is the easiest and simplest way to do this live streaming as I have described in "today's" software world, and using what particular software for the server and encoder? [for example, server 2008 or 2012 + IIS, and WME or W Expression encoder?]. I do not know what server OS and encoder to use.

This system will be run and administered mostly by high-schoolers.

Thank you for your time...

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 3:08 PM
  • "Easiest" is a relative term. I'd suggest that you do whatever is easiest for you. And for a lot of people the easiest method is to use what is most familiar to them.  But to answer your question more directly, the way I would suggest someone new to Microsoft video streaming set this up would be to use Expression Encoder pushing the stream to IIS Media Services and then to a Silverlight client running in a browser.
    Wednesday, March 05, 2014 7:58 PM
  • OK

so the first choice is to use either the WME9 encoder of the Expression encoder.  That seems like a toss up.

But re: the server...I assume I would buy 2008 or 2012 and implement the Media Services, which I believe are the same for both server versions.  Have you an opinion if, as regards the operation of the server, there is a difference other than technological age?  Is that correct?

I guess it doesn't matter on the player end whether I call a stream via the broadcast URL and port, the Publishing point or a browser web page.

Your advice and opinion are appreciated.  Thank you.

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 8:34 PM
  • Depends on which "Media Services" you are referring to. See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/randomnumber/archive/2012/11/14/windows-media-services-not-supported-on-windows-server-2012.aspx for the reasons why I point this out.

If you are sticking with Windows Media Services then you should use Windows Server 2008 R2.  If you go the IIS Media Services route and have the option go with Windows Server 2012.

• Proposed as answer by Hank Lam Wednesday, March 05, 2014 8:48 PM
    Wednesday, March 05, 2014 8:39 PM
  • Thank you David; Please confirm my observations:

1. Windows Media Services is a standalone update for Server 2008.  WMS provides for on-demand streaming and live streaming, but doesn't provide for adaptive bitrate streaming.

2. On Server 2012 IIS Smooth Streaming is available in IIS7 via IIS7 Media Services 4.1. It is available in IIS8/Server 2012 without any additional download and requires Silvderlight.

Is the gain of smooth streaming of value on a LAN?  It also seems the management of the IIS7 services in my small environment may be confusing.

I am inclined to go with 2008 and WME9, unless there is a major point I am missing.  I wan't going to use variable bit-rate encoding originally either - how different is that in the end result to smooth streaming?

Thank you

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 8:59 PM