none
Adding wireless router to SBS server

Question

• We currently have a SBS 2003 network.  The Server has the usual 2 NICs, the external one connecting to an ADSL line via a modem router.

I want to add wireless connectivity to a: allow printing from the network to a wireless printer & b: to provide wireless internet access for visitors.

Our ISP has provided us with a 'Business Hub' (actually a 2Wire Gateway) so I was planning to replace the current router with this but not being a network expert I'm thinking that the new hub would presumably have to be running DHCP for wireless connections and wondering how that would play with the SBS server.  Also how do I configure the SBS server so PCs connected to the network see the wireless printer connected to the hub's wireless network?

Many thanks

Jon Lewis

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:57 PM

Answers

• The problem is now solved.  For anyone interested you have to add a rule to the ISA Firewall allowing all traffic to the printer on the other subnet from Local Host and the Internal network (fairly obviously).  Then you have to rack your brains for several days trying to figure out why ISA is still blocking communication to the printer until by chance you see an old forum post that says rerun the CEICW.  This is after ISA has indicated to you that the new rule has been applied, but clearly it hasn't.  WTF?  

Jon Lewis

• Marked as answer by jon1854 Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:55 PM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:54 PM

All replies

• Spend ~$75 USD and buy a NETGEAR WN604-100NAS.  This is a Stand alone access point, and you can just plug it into your network, with no topology changes.  DHCP and everything else can just stay the same, and you will not have to make any changes. 

If you are opposed to the Netgear, Linksys and and many others have Access Points for less than $100 USD.  Just make sure you get an AP, NOT a router. 

Jeremy

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:55 PM
  • I am not crazy about the idea of allowing guest access to your business LAN.  What we do is to have two entirely separate wireless networks, one for internal use and one for guests.

Our internal wireless uses 802.1x authentication, with Internet Authentication Service running on the SBS03.  This means that only domain-joined PCs can connect to that wireless network.  It's a little complex to set this up, but you could do something similar with a wireless access point and WPA2 authentication.

Our guest network uses a regular wireless router, which does the DHCP for guests.  That network uses WPA with a very simple password that we give out freely to guests - not intended to keep out a motivated intruder, but it probably keeps out the neighbors and casual parking lot surfers.

We have a Sonicwall firewall that provides the Internet connection for both the LAN and the guest networks, while explicitly denying all access from guest to LAN.

There's definitely some configuration and hardware involved in this configuration.  However, it prevents an unknown person in the parking lot from having any access to our business LAN.  With a lower security level, there would be nothing preventing an intruder from accessing the business network other than a user password - more risk than I'm willing to take.

One last comment - if you don't need LAN wireless other than for one printer, why not buy an inexpensive wired print server for that, and forget about internal wireless altogether?

Dave Nickason - SBS MVP

• Proposed as answer by Tiger Li Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:07 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in replying.  I take your points but security is not really an issue and I'm not giving guest access to our wired network, just wireless web access via the hub.  I'm just doing it this way for convenience as the ISP has given us the new router and the printer can't be situated near a current network point to be wired.

Evrything seems to be working OK with DHCP on the Hub not interfering with the server.  I'm just wondering how a can make the printer (which is visible on the seperate wireless network) visible to the wired network i.e. to the server?

Can this be done?

Thanks

Jon Lewis

Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

> I'm just wondering how a can make the printer (which is visible on the seperate wireless network) visible to the wired network i.e. to the server?

May I know how does this printer connect to our SBS network currently?
    If we want it can be connected via wired network then please make it direly connect to our SBS network by connecting it to the our central  wired router or switch device .

Perhaps we can also add this printer to SBS server in order to share it with others who have authority to access SBS server.

How To Install and Configure a File and Print Server in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325860

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:09 AM
  • Tiger, the printer doesn't currently connect to the SBS network.

The SBS network is wired.  The SBS server has its internal NIC and a separate external NIC which connects to a gateway that provides internet connection and a separate visitor's wireless network.  The printer is connected to the wireless network.  I want PCs on the wired SBS network to be able to print through the gateway to the printer on the wireless network.

At the moment I can't add the printer to the SBS server and share it.  I can ping the printer from the SBS server but this does not seem to be enough for the add printer wizard to establish contact with the printer.

Maybe it is the ISA Firewall which is preventing the necessary incoming communication from the printer (via the wireless network>gateway>external NIC).

e.g. I can't ping the SBS server's external NIC or internal NIC from the wireless network.

TIA

Jon Lewis

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:25 AM
  • The problem is now solved.  For anyone interested you have to add a rule to the ISA Firewall allowing all traffic to the printer on the other subnet from Local Host and the Internal network (fairly obviously).  Then you have to rack your brains for several days trying to figure out why ISA is still blocking communication to the printer until by chance you see an old forum post that says rerun the CEICW.  This is after ISA has indicated to you that the new rule has been applied, but clearly it hasn't.  WTF?  

Jon Lewis

• Marked as answer by jon1854 Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:55 PM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:54 PM