Question

• I'm trying to activate a 2012 Server with volume licensing key 

and I get an error 0x8007232b activation error

ChrisS

• Edited by ChrisS - ITR Thursday, November 07, 2013 4:25 PM
    Thursday, November 07, 2013 4:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As per the details you can use that as you have to use either MAK Key or KMS for activation.

If KMS activation will not be used, and if there is no KMS server, the product key should be changed to an MAK. Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN), or for TechNet, the stock-keeping units (SKUs) that are listed below the media are usually volume licensed-media, and the product key that is supplied is an MAK key. (Quoted from that article)

Thanks.

Yes, I have see this stuff... MSDN key is the same as MAK key !!! WOW !!!

This is pure Techno-Babble - there is absolutely no need for it !

I'm not shooting the messenger

Its SIMPLE very very simple and should be FAQ's. No better still its should be added to the License download page.

For small sites with a handful of servers use the MAK key

1st remove built-in key by opening powershell and

type slmgr -upk <enterkey>   a message will popup saying key removed

now type slmgr -ipk xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx  <enterkey> (your MAK product key)  

Now go to Control Panel > Action Center and activate your product

Alternatively - Install / configure a KMS Server if you want to or you have lots of servers!!!

ChrisS

Friday, November 08, 2013 11:37 AM

All replies

• Did you try to look up the error in TechNet?  The first response is a support article that explains what the error is.  Basically it is saying it can't find the DNS entry of the KMS.  Make sure your KMS is properly installed.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Thursday, November 07, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Do I need a KMS?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929826/en-us#method1

slmgr -ipk <var>xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx</var>

Can I use the above - I'm finally ready to deliver and I don't <var>to add any more complication / server roll etc if I can help it !</var>

ChrisS

Thursday, November 07, 2013 4:39 PM
  • You posted this same question to this forum.  Answered in your other post because I ran into it first.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Thursday, November 07, 2013 10:22 PM
  • Hi,

As per the details you can use that as you have to use either MAK Key or KMS for activation.

If KMS activation will not be used, and if there is no KMS server, the product key should be changed to an MAK. Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN), or for TechNet, the stock-keeping units (SKUs) that are listed below the media are usually volume licensed-media, and the product key that is supplied is an MAK key. (Quoted from that article)

Thanks.

Friday, November 08, 2013 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks.

Yes, I have see this stuff... MSDN key is the same as MAK key !!! WOW !!!

This is pure Techno-Babble - there is absolutely no need for it !

I'm not shooting the messenger

Its SIMPLE very very simple and should be FAQ's. No better still its should be added to the License download page.

For small sites with a handful of servers use the MAK key

1st remove built-in key by opening powershell and

type slmgr -upk <enterkey>   a message will popup saying key removed

now type slmgr -ipk xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx  <enterkey> (your MAK product key)  

Now go to Control Panel > Action Center and activate your product

Alternatively - Install / configure a KMS Server if you want to or you have lots of servers!!!

ChrisS

Friday, November 08, 2013 11:37 AM