none
SBS 2011 Local disk almost full...AGAIN!!

Question

• My initial install created an 80GB C drive by default.  Within a year it was full.  I expanded it a few months ago to 200GB and it didn't take long to expand into that space.  There are hidden files filling up my drive because they report the C drive is only 20GB and yet "My Computer" says 177GB.  Standard search tools finds no large folders and no Windows tools reduce the size of the drive.  I am at my wits end.  Has anyone seen this behavior before?!!  HELP!!!

DB

I am suspicious of the shadow copy size for the unmarked volume seen in this vssadmin list.  Could this be where all my disk space is going?  I have two partitions, C: and D: yet vssadmin does not specify a drive letter for the huge shadow (131.764GB).  It is UNBOUNDED, which makes me think it can continue to grow. IF that is my problem.  What do you think?

David Brown

• Edited by drdbrown Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:58 AM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:51 AM

Answers

• Hi David:

We can pin this down.  Download, install and "run as administrator" either Windirstat or treesizepro.  These programs will tell you what is eating the space.  I create 150 GB system partitions, move WSUS, Exchange and so on to other partitions and never have this problem.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:17 PM
  • Please turn off the pictorial graph, and confirm that you right clicked the shortcut/exe and selected "run as administrator".  The issue you report is not as wide spread in SBS 2011 as SBS 2008, but if you have not been running WSUS Cleanup Wizard from start - admin tools - windows update services this could account for what you see.

If you have not ever run the clean up wiz, it will take several passes and take a long time.  Run that one segment at a time, selecting only one check box.

But to be more specific we need to know if you did "run as administrator".  If so, and the culprit cannot be identified I suggest you use a bootable av program and scan the system while Windows is not running.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Friday, December 20, 2013 11:20 AM
  • For Windows 7 a while ago came a patch, which allowed to delete the outdated remains of Windows Update.

Disk Cleanup Wizard addon lets users delete outdated Windows updates on Windows 7 SP1

Unfortunately this patch has not been provided for the Windows Server versions, which also accumulate a lot of disk space by keeping outdated Windows updates hidden in the system. (And usually the server OS disk is much smaller than this on the clients.)

So I would really appreciate, if Microsoft could bring this addon also for the Windows Server versions.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi David:

We can pin this down.  Download, install and "run as administrator" either Windirstat or treesizepro.  These programs will tell you what is eating the space.  I create 150 GB system partitions, move WSUS, Exchange and so on to other partitions and never have this problem.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:17 PM
  • I see something similar on my SBS 2011, and I think the 131GB shadow copy is your backup drive. That's why it doesn't have a drive letter. But you can see that the shadow copy is held on the same unlettered drive that is being shadowed, not on your C drive.

Paul

Friday, December 20, 2013 12:44 AM
  • Attached are the results.

I am thinking it might be my WSUS content.  Is WSUS content hidden?  What else can explain the missing 154.29GBs?  Here is the results of Windirstat.  Notice it reports the C:/ drive as 20.9GB used however the system reports almost 177GB filled! Disk Management confirms the C:/drive partition as 177.19GB. I can try running wsusutil movecontent.  But if I do, how do I delete the old data? 

This blog page might help me, what do you think: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2010/03/02/recovering-disk-space-on-the-c-drive-in-small-business-server-2008.aspx

David Brown

Friday, December 20, 2013 6:23 AM
  • Please turn off the pictorial graph, and confirm that you right clicked the shortcut/exe and selected "run as administrator".  The issue you report is not as wide spread in SBS 2011 as SBS 2008, but if you have not been running WSUS Cleanup Wizard from start - admin tools - windows update services this could account for what you see.

If you have not ever run the clean up wiz, it will take several passes and take a long time.  Run that one segment at a time, selecting only one check box.

But to be more specific we need to know if you did "run as administrator".  If so, and the culprit cannot be identified I suggest you use a bootable av program and scan the system while Windows is not running.

Friday, December 20, 2013 11:20 AM
  • For Windows 7 a while ago came a patch, which allowed to delete the outdated remains of Windows Update.

Disk Cleanup Wizard addon lets users delete outdated Windows updates on Windows 7 SP1

Unfortunately this patch has not been provided for the Windows Server versions, which also accumulate a lot of disk space by keeping outdated Windows updates hidden in the system. (And usually the server OS disk is much smaller than this on the clients.)

So I would really appreciate, if Microsoft could bring this addon also for the Windows Server versions.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:18 PM
  • I ran Windirstat as Administrator with same results.  But I solved my problem.  Months ago we were having problems with missing data folders.  They would be mysteriously moved into adjacent folders.  I suspected a user was being careless at their station and so created a custom event view to track file deletions by username.  Since the problem has diminished I forgot the event trapping was still going on.  The log files kept building up and filling up the drive.

But this still does not explain why the Windirstat and other utilities did not locate the log files and instead treated them as hidden.  They are located in c:/Windows/System32/winevt/Logs.  To the utilities even the /winevt folder does not exist!  Right clicking and choosing Properties will show the size of the folder and that is the only way I found it, by clicking down each folder until I found it. Although it sounds like a permission problem I can't seem to change them to expose the folder to the utilities. Odd.

Thanks for your support to keep me motivated.  Sometimes I am my worse enemy.

David Brown

Friday, December 20, 2013 8:19 PM