none
Favorites order won't save in Outlook 2013 RTM

Question

• Outlook 2013 RTM connected to Exchange 2007 on Win 8 x64.

When reordering my favorites, the order completely changes upon Outlook restart. I've narrowed the culprit to the Outbox, Sent Items, Drafts, and Deleted Items folders. When those aren't included in the favorites, the order is preserved on restart. Adding any of those and restarting Outlook causes all 4 to show up in favorites (even if adding just one) and they always are at the top, even when placed elsewhere. Moving them to a different position and restarting causes them to all pop up to the top again, sometimes randomly removing other folders from the favorites.

Big bug. Any ideas on how to fix?

• Edited by Mmarcuse Friday, January 18, 2013 8:43 AM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 8:43 AM

All replies

• Self-serving bump, is anyone else having this issue?
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Yes, having the same issue. 
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 6:56 PM
  • Same issue here - it seems special folders (inbox, etc.) are bubbled to the top. I have multiple inboxes and have grouped favorites but the inboxes all float up to the top of the bar. It also appears that the old favorites XML file is no longer used so the implementation is new.
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:15 AM
  • Yes, same issue
    Monday, March 18, 2013 1:43 AM
  • yep same issue here :(
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:11 AM
  • Same here, i have about 10 accounts but surely a favourites order should be able to be set. I understand possible shut down crash issues but this is annoyingly putting them in random orders. Favourites should be able to be set like a web browser,  Microsoft please advise.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:40 PM
  • I am having the same issue as well--Anyone from Microsoft Listening?
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:10 AM
  • Yes, same here. Intensely annoying.
    Monday, March 25, 2013 8:26 AM
  • I'm having the same issue: each time I open Outlook 2013, the order of my Favorite 'folders' is changed.  I have an Exchange inbox, a Hotmail inbox, and IMAP account (Gmail) inbox, and they are re-ordered with each opening of Outlook (not opening using the taskbar icon).  I don't understand why this is happening, particularly in software that a) I paid for; and, b) has never had this problem (on my computer) in the past.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:33 PM
  • Same problem here.  For me it always "reverts" to the same (wrong) order.  I have three accounts, and Outlook always wants it to be: inbox, inbox, sent mail, inbox, unread mail, deleted items, sent mail, sent mail.  No idea why.

Furthermore, simply dragging the favorites around doesn't always work.  I cannot drag an inbox to directly below another inbox; I have to drag it to be sandwiched between two inboxes, and then drag the lower inbox up one, to achieve the desired effect.

How has Microsoft not fixed this yet?  This seems obvious, incredibly annoying, and should be a profoundly easy fix.  Some developer somewhere forgot a plus sign or something.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 11:55 AM
  • I am also having this problem, I have done some testing and think I may know what is causing it. 

In my outlook I have setup several email accounts configured including exchange, Hotmail/outlook.com, Microsoft 365, POP, IMAP/SMTP types.

I added each inbox to the favorites one by one, moving them to the top of the favorites section, closing and opening Outlook between each one. I found that when I added the IMAP/SMTP folders to favorites (like gmail or yahoo) the problem starts. 

Furthermore I found that I can add the imap accounts to favorites but if I do NOT move them to the top of the favorites section, (keeping them toward the bottom of the favorites list like below sent items and deleted items) it does not cause the ordering problem.

One more thing found during testing, if you add the imap account and restart outlook to find the order has changed you can remove the imap account from favorites (be sure not to change the favorites order again) then close and open outlook again, the order will return correctly.

Hopefully this can provide some insight to resolve the problem.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:41 PM
  • Same issue here.  Long list of favorite folders and they always revert to an order pre-ordained by Office.  Mine has the inboxes way at the bottom of the list.  Will try some things to see what might be a work-around but CLEARLY A BUG microsoft.
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Tried adding my various inboxes in different orders as suggested and was finally able to get the order (an order) to be remembered by Outlook 2013.  Added MAPI gmail account, then MAPI 1&1 account then Office 365/Exchange account.  No other order preserved the desired order in list.  Still feed like it was just luck and the thing will by jumbled up next time I open...

Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:57 PM
  • Same issue here. I have 4 inboxes in my favorites: 1 Office 365, 1 IMAP, 2 Hotmail.  Always in a different order each time I open Outlook.

Can someone from Microsoft please respond?

This posting is provided AS-IS and confers no warranties or rights

Friday, June 07, 2013 8:30 AM
  • Why would they answer...they couldn't give a monkeys.

They want you to be pissed off with it, so you move to the online version.

Sunday, June 09, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Same problem here (with 2 Gmail accounts). The order is not maintained.
    Tuesday, August 06, 2013 1:28 PM
  • I found this and it's seemed to work so far:

Start outlook from the command line with the following switch:

Start > Run

outlook /resetnavpane

Your entire nav pane will be reset, but once you configure it again, it should work.

The config file used to store you favorites is likely corrupt and running this switch will reset it.

Seems a little weak for a software that's gone through as many generations as Outlook, but nevertheless, it works. I can only assume that there is some sort of a bug when adding a new accounts or when adjusting favorites that internally corrupts the .xml file that stores the order...

Best of luck!

• Proposed as answer by Digibalance Thursday, September 05, 2013 9:24 PM
    Thursday, September 05, 2013 9:24 PM
  • This does not resolve my issue.
    I like to have all of my "Inbox" folders at the top of the favorites list. As soon as I move an IMAP folder to the top of the list (gmail or yahoo ) the next time I close and open outlook the order is changed. I can change the order of any other items in the list though.

Image 1: Current favorites list, I have exchange, hotmail, POP, and IMAP accounts (The IMAP accounts are at the bottom of the list)
    Image 2: I move one of the IMAP Inboxes up in the list
    Image 3: The next time I open and close outlook the order is changed. 
                   (to restore the order I have to remove the folder I moved from favorites and add them back to the bottom of the list)

Image 1:                                                 Image 2:                                                  Image3:

Friday, September 06, 2013 2:35 PM
  • The /resetnavpane switch did not fix it for me either. If it weren't buggy, it wouldn't be Microsoft. 
    Friday, September 20, 2013 12:34 AM
  • Same here. Bump!
    Monday, October 28, 2013 5:13 PM
  • Thank for the tips here guys.

I'm seeing this as another part of the IMAP problem with Outlook 2013.

My Favorites will stay ordered if I leave all IMAP inboxes out of the Favorites Menu.

(I don't use POP so this is tested on Office365 and Outlook.com inboxes.)

Monday, November 11, 2013 9:14 PM
  • Has anyone found a soultion to this issue?

Monday, April 14, 2014 11:15 AM
  • Same issue here. It definitely has something to do with IMAP folders. If I don't use IMAP everything stays ordered.  Seems like this has been going on for a while. 

Senior Vice President, Software Development - Allin Interactive

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:58 AM
  • Wonder why no one from Microsoft is responding... :-?
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:41 PM
  • I can only suppose that it is very, very difficult to fix.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:57 PM
  • I can only suppose that it is very, very difficult to fix.

Why? It worked perfectly fine in OL 2010, 2007 and 2003.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:02 PM
  • Because the alternative is to suppose that Microsoft doesn't care whether it ever gets fixed.

It's embarrassing to promote and support Office 2013 when such a glaring bug goes unaddressed for so long.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:33 PM
  • Because the alternative is to suppose that Microsoft doesn't care whether it ever gets fixed.

It's embarrassing to promote and support Office 2013 when such a glaring bug goes unaddressed for so long.

Indeed! What happened with all the MVPs that used to hang around here... Did they all get fired?

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:14 AM
  • I disagree we have seen this issue long before Outlook 2013.  I even submitted a ticket to Microsoft Partner Support and we were never able to get a resolution.  I have personally seen this on multiple systems with multiple configurations since OL 2003.  I agree after extensive testing that this has to do with IMAP folders.  I just wish this issue/bug which I am sure was identified by the Outlook Team in previous versions would get fixed.

I find it ridiculous that every day as part of my morning ritual I must configure a software application to my requirements, i.e. rearrange my favorites.

Microsoft if you are listening, as a Microsoft Partner for over a decade, please address this!

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 5:40 PM
  • I agree with plurality of conclusions in this discussion:

1.  Order of shortcuts in favorites is not preserved except 'occasionally.'

2.  Reordering of shortcuts in favorites seems highly correlated to errors in synchronization in IMAP accounts.

3.  There seems to be no interest or overview of Microsoft experts to this 'bug.'

In consequence I have changed all of my accounts to POP accounts  ...   except Hotmail and Gmail which don't give that option (or do they?).

Given earlier difficulties that cause me a lot time trying to get an IMAP account working with my non-Microsoft/non-Google server, I am eliminating all IMAP accounts on all of my machines and going back to the only other option I think I have:  If you want to share files and views on various machines, do it only with WebMail;  else risk all sorts of unexpected difficulties (perhaps all related to synchronization) on even any one of the various machines.

Bottom line:  this is not what I would think Microsoft would want to happen to their users of Outlook 2013 (Office 365).  For me, going back to the idea of POP mailboxes and local storage is counter-intuitive to the modern ideas of cloud and central storage.

DCG

Tuesday, September 09, 2014 1:19 AM