none
DHCP in Domain A serving Computers in Domain B

Question

• Hi. I have migrated computers from domain A to domain B. Servers remain in domain A. A trust is in place.

In domain A I have a domain controller running DNS & DHCP. DNS is secure only/AD Integrated. DHCP is configured to update DNS using a domain account. DHCP in domain A serves computers migrated to domain B.

I have a domain controller in Domain B running DNS.

All servers are on the same subnet (domain A and domain B) and in the same building.

Forwarders are configured in DNS.

I am no longer able to RDP to computers migrated to domain B by name. I can by IP.

What is the best configuration for my situation to avoid DNS issues?

Should I install DHCP on a member server in Domain B and unauthorize the DHCP server in Domain A?

Kinds Regards,

Phil.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:19 PM

Answers

• There are 2 options to achieve your needs.

1st 

1. Setup a secondary DNS for Domain A on DomainB DC, and the other way around. 
    2. enable your clients to register their DNS records on the network adapter

2nd

1. Have DHCP distribute the DNS server of DomainB as 2nd or 3rd DNS
    2. create a Group policy with  DNS suffix search list listing both domains, and apply it to your workstations. for each domain. 

You could combine both  options as well :) 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/af53cdba-7e5b-4146-98a9-50e309395356/how-dns-suffix-search-list-works-?forum=winserverNIS

Thursday, July 10, 2014 10:42 PM
  • Hi Phil,

I don't think this will confuse the DNS. Because they are different resource records. For example, we have a client named PC1. Then there will be two resource records in the DNS, one is PC1.domainA.local and the other is PC1.domainB.local. Which resource record will be used depends on the DNS query. Which DNS suffix will be appended to the DNS query depends on the DNS suffix search list.

Hope this helps.

Steven Lee

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 14, 2014 9:40 AM

All replies

• There are 2 options to achieve your needs.

1st 

1. Setup a secondary DNS for Domain A on DomainB DC, and the other way around. 
    2. enable your clients to register their DNS records on the network adapter

2nd

1. Have DHCP distribute the DNS server of DomainB as 2nd or 3rd DNS
    2. create a Group policy with  DNS suffix search list listing both domains, and apply it to your workstations. for each domain. 

You could combine both  options as well :) 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/af53cdba-7e5b-4146-98a9-50e309395356/how-dns-suffix-search-list-works-?forum=winserverNIS

Thursday, July 10, 2014 10:42 PM
  • Hi. Many thanks for your reply.

Regards option 2.

I have already configured DHCP to distribute Domain B DNS  as 3rd DNS server.

DNS Suffix has been added in GPO on Domain B.

I have now configured step 1 in option 1.

I have a question.

DNS Secondary zone exists in Domain B for Domain A (and vice versa).

I can see that my clients migrated to Domain B are registering in DNS on domain B.

computer in Domain B receives a DHCP address from the DHCP server in Domain A will this also update DNS in Domain A (as DHCP is set to manage DNS)?

This means in Domain B I have clients listed in the primary zone and clients replicated to the secondary zone from Domain A.

Will this confuse DNS lookups?

Kind Regards,

Phil.

Friday, July 11, 2014 6:33 AM
  • Hi Phil,

I don't think this will confuse the DNS. Because they are different resource records. For example, we have a client named PC1. Then there will be two resource records in the DNS, one is PC1.domainA.local and the other is PC1.domainB.local. Which resource record will be used depends on the DNS query. Which DNS suffix will be appended to the DNS query depends on the DNS suffix search list.

Hope this helps.

Steven Lee

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 14, 2014 9:40 AM
  • Thanks Steven.

Phil.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:44 AM