none
TS Make and Model

Question

• Good morning, I am in doubt and need to seek their input. Working in an organization of 1500 pcs with 40 different computer models, among which 20 are brand computers (Lenovo and HP) and 20 are PCs Clones (Asus, MSI, etc).

I have a MDT implemented in Windows 7 with a shared folder, loaded operating systems, the drivers loaded, the applications loaded. I have the Task Sequence profiles generated for each PC model injecte rightful driver.

The problem arises when I'm working with PC clones because Make and Model values ​​are not well defined in the equipment by the manufacturer, which I derived that drivers are not injected.

It occurred to me to add a condition somewhere in the TS where I can insert a wizard to select a predefined menu the Make and Model, the problem is not how and where to add that condition. The condition should be, if Make Model are different from those defined in the system to run the wizard to select by menu these values​​, then these values ​​are loaded into the Make and Model variables and the system can find the drivers folder that corresponds as selected.

Could you advise and explain how to add that condition in TS?.

• Edited by struedua Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:10 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:06 PM

All replies

• You can put a WMI query on any step in the task sequence, like so:

"If machine does not match the following Make and Model" then do not execute this step.

For example, perform the following command in a command prompt:

"wmic computersystem get model", then you will see the following screen

The same thing you can do for your vendor, so then you can make a query which query's for a number of vendor's if one of them match the query, the step will be executed or not.

Like this:

But then not on the "Inject Drivers" step, but on the "Show selection screen step"

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Rens, thanks for the prompt response.
    Surely not express myself correctly, the problem is generated by the CPU I Clone, because when I consult the "vendor" and "model" of these CPU, many are empty or say "generic".
    That's why I opt for the idea of running a "Wizard" when presented with the condition that the "vendor" and "model" are not in the list of models MDT CPU and so in this way to manually set the "vendor" and "model".
    My problem is that I need guidance with the code and find out which step of the TS to the call to Wizard ..

Thanks Rens.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Just to be sure, do you build your reference image on a virtual machine? Because that would be the way to go, to keep your "reference / build" image as clean as possible.

After this, you can target the image to any hardware and any CPU (as long it supports the x64 architecture) and if the network and storage driver can write to of course the machine that you are deploying.

The power of MDT is 'one' image to rule them all, so you basically have to configure and target your drivers per make/model. CPU types (of course within respectable boundaries) just has no effect on the deployment as long as you make your reference image on a VM.

By CPU you mean the processor correct?

Because CPU's are also possible to query with WMI, and so set conditions on a certain step:

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Rens.

The images are OK.

My problem is that I have Workstations Generics and when I run the WMI query the result is "Vendor = Empty" or "Vendor = Generic", the same happens with the "Model".
    So not find a way of detecting these Workstation with WMI, is why I happened to add an "if condition" in any part of the TS.
    If the "Vendor" and "Model" (WMI Query) from the workstation does not match the "Vendor" and "Model" as defined in MDT, then running a wizard to manually select from a list the "Vendor" and "Model "

Can you help me with this?

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:53 PM
  • I understood what you said first time. :)

Deployment Bunny Mikael Nystrom has a great solution for just this situation. Its a user exit script that replaces the model name using an alias.

You can read the full post on his blog here.

/Andrew

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:11 PM
  • You are pushing up to the inherent problems with Make and Model driver provisioning.

I recommend you watch this presentation: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2012/WCL307

Typically I follow the "Chaos" method myself as much as possible. There are many people on this alias who will disagree with me.

It is quite common to "change" the make/model information. Lenovo for example will by default display the more complex 2447L62 model number rather than the more friendly "ThinkPad W530". So I use a user-exit script to change the values.

AS for a wizard, I would not do it personally, but you can if you want.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:48 AM
  • Keith, I understand what you propose but not the problem that I have.
    My problem is that I have many workstation with the same model of motherboard (eg P5VD2-SE) but WMI query response is different in all of them.

Example 1
    P5VD2-SE - Model = Generic
    Example 2
    P5VD2-SE - Model = Asus
    Example 3
    P5VD2-SE - Model = Asus Company
    Example 4
    P5VD2-SE - Model = Asus co
    Example 5
    P5VD2-SE - Model = ASUS P5VD2

That's why I made ​​the decision to run a wizard and select the make and model manually when a model is not recognized by the system MDT

He understands what my situation?

What I need is help to create the wizard and define in which part of the TS line.

Thanks
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:45 PM
  • What you need to do then is to create a HTA (HTML Application) which presents you the list (pull-down menu) where you can select the models, and each model that is selected writes-out a different value. Then you need to put this value as a condition on your 20 or 40 inject-driver steps, that if the value matches the desired 'inject-driver' step, the correct drivers are injected.

So basically start creating the HTA

There is no easy way to do it. If you cannot bring down the number of hardware models.

I just want to point out the power of MDT is deployment on machines that are largely the same. Of course multiple vendors and models occur everywhere, but also servicing the exotic or do-it-yourself computers can be quite a challenge.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:27 PM
  • It's a shame you didn't read Mikael Nystrom's link I posted.

It's a perfect fix for your solution.

Good luck with this.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Yes, please do not ask for help, and then ignore the help given. Mikael Nystrom's user exit script is exactly what you want. It allows you to decide:

If it is this, rename it to that.

If it is THIS, rename it to THAT.

if it is This, or That, or The Other, or a Different Other, rename it to This.

If it is None of the Above, rename it to A Different Thing.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:01 PM
  • Guys, please don't be so hard on him?!

We all have been in the situation where we have devised a Frankenstein kind of solution (perhaps earlier on when you were an MDT rookie). And it is only a matter of time, until one comes to his senses and chooses to simplify his approach. Either by numbering down the number of models, or by using an user exit script.

And of course an user exit script will do the trick, an HTA will also do the trick, but if you have no scripting knowlegde, you need to start somewhere...

So please show some understanding :)

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:20 AM