none
How to make a Windows 2003 Print Server stop advertising itself on the network

Question

• How do you stop a windows 2003 print server from advertising itself on your network without uninstalling the print server services. For example, when I go to add a network printer I do not want the windows 2003 print server to show up as an option.
    Friday, August 23, 2013 3:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Try this.

You can hide a printer with trailing $ at the share name and make the printer invisible. 

Devaraj G | Technical solution architect

Friday, August 23, 2013 3:18 PM
  • I cannot change the share name because we have processes that use the complete share that are in production. I really need the server to stop advertising itself as print server all together.
    Friday, August 23, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, I understand you want to hide some share printer. In Active Directory Users and Computers, right click on the printer object in AD and select Properties. On the Security tab, add the group what contains the user(s) you want to let them access the printer. And then delete the Authenticated Users group from the printer object on the Security tab. Now your printer can only be seen by the group you added. However, the other Admin groups added by default.

In addition, there is a similar question, please refer to.

Hide printers for some users

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/1578fc0f-c9ab-4ef0-8ba6-0dfb6cdf3230/hide-printers-for-some-users

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:30 AM