none
I'm Confused by my DHCP Server !

Question

• Hi all Fellow Tech's.... We setup a brand new HP ML350 G8 Win2012 AD server, all works fine, shares OK , file access, printers , files and folders etc all work. DNS works fine, DHCP works fine network clients logon Ok,... everything works great with one problem..... My DHCP server (same box as everything else) does not list my Domain name as its root !!! It has an IP address I've not setup or recognise?  I've gone from a Win2003SBS box to a new Win2012 Server. We backed up our existing DHCP 2003 Server and imported to the 2012 box with no issues. Now get a very odd IP addresss as the root DHCP server. All PC's can join / leave and re-join the network domain with no issues , DHCP acts fine, DNS works fine !!! Very odd. If we use the old 2003SBS box to admin the new DHCP server it comes up as the correct domain name, yet look up from the new box and it comes up with IP address never setup ???.... any help would be greatly appreciated... Thank you. 
    • Edited by sray2000 Saturday, September 14, 2013 8:46 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 11:26 PM

Answers

• Check to see if you have the same scope on both dhcp servers, 2012 is more forgiving but 2003 dhcp will stop working if it finds another dhcp server with the same scope, this goes back a ways but I think if you rerun the internet connectivity wizard in sbs 2003 it may also correct. I don't believe you can turn off dhcp on a sbs2003. IF the SBS server is going away I would leave off on the 2012 until you have finished, then don't worry about the ip addresses in the scope only the reservations, reboot the workstations and they mill get new ip addresses and 2012 will better handle ip conflicts than 2003 did. 

Saturday, September 14, 2013 1:10 PM

All replies

• Check to see if you have the same scope on both dhcp servers, 2012 is more forgiving but 2003 dhcp will stop working if it finds another dhcp server with the same scope, this goes back a ways but I think if you rerun the internet connectivity wizard in sbs 2003 it may also correct. I don't believe you can turn off dhcp on a sbs2003. IF the SBS server is going away I would leave off on the 2012 until you have finished, then don't worry about the ip addresses in the scope only the reservations, reboot the workstations and they mill get new ip addresses and 2012 will better handle ip conflicts than 2003 did. 

Saturday, September 14, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Many thanks for your reply... the old 2003 sbs server is no longer runing we dc promo'd it and took it out of the domain / service hence there's only one dhcp server / one scope on the new 2012 box. Workstations have no problem obtaining an IP / dns from the server , its just odd that the root dhcp server does not show as the domain name. Thanks again for your input.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:38 PM