none
SQL Server 2012 Cluster Quorum Configuration

Question

• Hi all,

i have a question about cluster quorum configuration for my SQL 2012 installation.

I have 3 node in cluster configuration. On this 3 node i want to install sql 2012, of course in cluster configuration.

My question is: what is the best quorum configuration for my cluster in this case?

Thanks in advance,

Luca

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

I would like you to do some reading

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2011/05/27/10169261.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2010/05/14/10012930.aspx

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Marked as answer by FREEDOM80 Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:31 AM
  • Hi all,

i have a question about cluster quorum configuration for my SQL 2012 installation.

I have 3 node in cluster configuration. On this 3 node i want to install sql 2012, of course in cluster configuration.

My question is: what is the best quorum configuration for my cluster in this case?

Thanks in advance,

Luca

Generally with an odd number of nodes, you'll opt for node majority.

Are you planning on implementing AlwaysOn?

• Marked as answer by FREEDOM80 Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:26 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Thanks all for the answer.

My cluster is not for AlwaysOn.

I will use node majority for my SQL cluster.

Thanks again,

Luca

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Quorum configuration determines the number of failures that a cluster can sustain. I usually call a quorum as "majority votes win" in which case, a majority of votes when a failure of a voting member fails is a quorum. For example, in a 3-node cluster, if 1 of the node fails, a quorum is when there is majority of votes. Since 2 out of 3 is majority, then, there is quorum and the cluster resources will stay online. If 2 out of 3 fails, then, there is no quorum and the cluster resources will be brought offline. Windows Server 2012 R2 changes this in a concept called the "last man standing" where even when only one voting member is left in the cluster, the cluster resources stay online.

To answer your question on "what the best quorum configuration for your cluster," it really depends on your architecture. For example, if you have a single-instance, 3-node cluster where all of the nodes in the cluster are in the same network subnet/data center, node majority would be appropriate. Imagine the same single-instance, 3-node cluster where one of the nodes is used for disaster recovery and is in a different network subnet/data center, you wouldn't want that node to have a vote because a network glitch between your cluster nodes may affect your cluster. For this scenario, you might want to introduce a file share witness in the same data center as the other 2 nodes, change the quorum configuration to file share witness and remove the voting option from the node in the other network subnet/data center

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recover Deep Dive Course

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:28 PM