none
How to directly access to window server 2008 R2 using laptop as workstation

Question

• How to use laptop as workstation to directly connect window server 2008 R2 and other servers? Can I access to my servers using UTP/console cable connect to my laptop?
    Saturday, July 26, 2014 6:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Normally the datacenter would have a monitor, keyboard, mouse that you could hook to the server, or kvm over ip or similar device.  I bet there is a company that makes a usb device that you could plug into your laptop and it would have vga and usb cables to hook to the server and it would emulate a kvm device in software, however, I have never investigated one.

Certain manufacturers or specialized devices may provide a port and/or network capability that allows out of band access to the server.

If your thought is that there is some sort of standard feature whereby you can plug into a serial port on most Server 2008 R2 boxes by default and gain access to a CLI (like a router or switch), the answer is no.

-TP

Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If the server has a free NIC and things are configured for it you could hook a crossover cable between your laptop's network jack and the server and use Remote Desktop to connect.  For example, the server NIC would need a static ip configured, remote desktop would need to be enabled under System Properties Remote tab, your laptop's NIC would need a static ip configured on the same subnet as the server, etc.

-TP

Saturday, July 26, 2014 11:48 PM
  • Any other option available? If I don't know the IP address of the server or I have issue remote in, is it possible to use console cable to access in ?
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

Normally the datacenter would have a monitor, keyboard, mouse that you could hook to the server, or kvm over ip or similar device.  I bet there is a company that makes a usb device that you could plug into your laptop and it would have vga and usb cables to hook to the server and it would emulate a kvm device in software, however, I have never investigated one.

Certain manufacturers or specialized devices may provide a port and/or network capability that allows out of band access to the server.

If your thought is that there is some sort of standard feature whereby you can plug into a serial port on most Server 2008 R2 boxes by default and gain access to a CLI (like a router or switch), the answer is no.

-TP

Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:31 AM
  • Thanks for your advice.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:39 AM