none
Getting the results of radius of influence to average, not add when it comes to color

Question

• I currently am trying to plot data from ~20,000 zip codes in the USA with a heatmap in power map. My problem is that since many of the zip codes border each other, a non-zero radius of influence makes everything red (most pairings will produce a result that would be red).

Making that radius 0 give the right colors, but leaves giant amounts of white space.

What I am looking for is a way to make sure that zooming out does not make everything red, but instead averages those values to get a color.

Example data file, contains zip codes and random values Change the zoom to see what I mean

• Edited by soandos3 Sunday, August 11, 2013 6:54 AM
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 6:54 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I can confirm that it is not possible to aggregate heat map data using an average in the way that you describe in this Power Map release. We understand that the method that we currently use may not make sense for every data set even as it does make sense for others.

I hope this helps!

Blair Neumann (MSFT)

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:45 PM

All replies

• I believe that what you are asking for can be accomplished if you click on lock current scale. That will prevent the zip codes from combining to turn the heat map red as you scroll out.

Regards,
    Anita Oakley

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:52 PM
  • While it does solve that issue, it sill seems that my choices are either have most of the map white, or have a map with visible colors that are wrong.

Is there a way to solve the core issue?

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:20 AM
  • While it does solve that issue, it sill seems that my choices are either have most of the map white, or have a map with visible colors that are wrong.

Is there a way to solve the core issue?

Can you restate the new question since part of it was answered?

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:04 PM
  • The issue is still the same.

I wish to have a map that is mostly colored (i.e. not white) but at the same time, use a different aggregation function that sum for coloration when circles intersect.

I think that sum is a mostly nonsensical choice for most data, as if two circles that have the data's mean intersect, it will turn bright red at that location. I would like to use average instead.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:24 AM
  • The issue is still the same.

I wish to have a map that is mostly colored (i.e. not white) but at the same time, use a different aggregation function that sum for coloration when circles intersect.

I think that sum is a mostly nonsensical choice for most data, as if two circles that have the data's mean intersect, it will turn bright red at that location. I would like to use average instead.

Any other ideas for Soandos?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Hello,

I can confirm that it is not possible to aggregate heat map data using an average in the way that you describe in this Power Map release. We understand that the method that we currently use may not make sense for every data set even as it does make sense for others.

I hope this helps!

Blair Neumann (MSFT)

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:45 PM
  • Is this something that might change in the future (perhaps allowing user defined functions, or even just allowing the aggregator functions that are built into pivottables (Sum, Count, Average, Max, Min, Product, Count Numbers, StdDev, StdDevp, Var))?
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:01 PM
  • You can add feature suggestions on the Office Connect site for Power Map.

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:17 AM
  • Any chance you can give me a link? I can't seem to find it.

Thank you

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:02 AM
  • Any chance you can give me a link? I can't seem to find it.

Thank you

Office is no longer supported on Connect. They just have one program now: https://connect.microsoft.com/directory/office/

You can also provide feedback via the Smile / Frown feature in the UI.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Monday, December 16, 2013 8:23 PM
  • I'll see if I can get a feature request in for future development. Thanks!

Monday, December 16, 2013 9:07 PM