none
Logic behind Deployment Start Time / Deadline for SCCM 2012 Required Application Deployments

Question

• Ok, so I'm losing my mind here and feel like i'm missing a small piece that will make this completely clear to me.

I want to deploy an application to a device collection, and I want 100% of those devices to have this Application.  I want it to be an on-going deployment, and if at any point a computer is added to this collection, it grabs the policy and installs the application.  I do not want there to be a "deadline" where it reaches, and becomes "past due".

I deploy an Application now, just like I've deployed others, and i'm getting a failed status of "Past due - will be retried".

The settings I use are simple, and exactly as I've used previously on packages such as Microsoft Office and others, and they work perfectly.  Can someone please tell me, based on my request for what i'm looking to do with the required application listed above, if i'm doing something wrong?

1) I start a deployment of an application
    2) Choose my device collection
    3) Set purpose as required (all defaults here left unchecked)
    4) On "specify schedule for this deployment", I have tried a number of things here.  If I leave the defaults...it sets a start time for way on this afternoon...I want it to start now.  It's currently on the content servers, so it should be available now.  What i'm going to do this time is check "schedule the application to be available at: and set the time as right now's date/time"  Then, leave "installation deadline" as "as soon as possible after the available time"
    5) On this window, under "when the installation deadline is reached, allow the following activities to be performed outside the maintenance window" I checked "software installation" and "system restart".  as default, I left "commit changes at deadline or during a maintenance window"
    6) left all other defaults
    7) refresh machine policy and wait for update

it refreshes, and says "past due - will be retried"

frustrating, i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong...but on other deployments I've done....it looks the same as the one I just did, but this one fails. 

the deployment start time / deadline are both 9/13/2013 9:10 am and get Past Due
    other ones are like 7/28/2013 7:30am for both, and have been going strong since, no issues.

What am I doing wrong/inconsistent?  I feel like my logic is way off and i'm targeting this incorrectly...anyone that can set me straight would be greatly appreciated!

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Jon,

Have you checked the appenforce.log on the trouble client for any clues?

Typically, these types of errors are related to incorrect command line syntax in the program of the deployment type, invalid detection rule in your detection method, or a retired dependency of the application.

The appenforce.log should give you a bit more context on the root cause, but you should go back and check each of the above to ensure those are all correct.

Hope this helps!

-Matt

Friday, September 13, 2013 3:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Jon,

Have you checked the appenforce.log on the trouble client for any clues?

Typically, these types of errors are related to incorrect command line syntax in the program of the deployment type, invalid detection rule in your detection method, or a retired dependency of the application.

The appenforce.log should give you a bit more context on the root cause, but you should go back and check each of the above to ensure those are all correct.

Hope this helps!

-Matt

Friday, September 13, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Good to know, i'm checking that file out now.  Here's the errors that were in my appenforce.log file:

Invalid executable file \\mps-sccm\sd\Smart AppEnforce 9/13/2013 9:11:03 AM 5976 (0x1758)
    CMsiHandler::EnforceApp failed (0x87d01106). AppEnforce 9/13/2013 9:11:03 AM 5976 (0x1758)
    AppProvider::EnforceApp - Failed to invoke EnforceApp on Application handler(0x87d01106). AppEnforce 9/13/2013 9:11:03 AM 5976 (0x1758)
    CommenceEnforcement failed with error 0x87d01106. AppEnforce 9/13/2013 9:11:03 AM 5976 (0x1758)
    Method CommenceEnforcement failed with error code 87D01106 AppEnforce 9/13/2013 9:11:03 AM 5976 (0x1758)
    ++++++ Failed to enforce app. Error 0x87d01106. ++++++ AppEnforce 9/13/2013 9:11:03 AM 5976 (0x1758)

the file path is \\mps-sccm\sd\Smart Notebook Standard\ folder , not \\mps-sccmsd\smart as that shows above...so confused there..?

Any of that look familiar?

Looking into this now...

Thanks!

Friday, September 13, 2013 4:13 PM
  • Jon,

How have you defined your content location and program for the deployment type?  Could you take screenshots of your Content tab and Programs tab of your deployment type for the application and provide?  This will better help supplement what the log is saying.

Thanks,

Matt

Friday, September 13, 2013 4:45 PM
  • 0x87d01106 = Failed to verify the executable file is valid or to construct the associated command line.

So your issue seems to be related to incorrect command line syntax in the program of the deployment type as Matt says above.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Friday, September 13, 2013 4:46 PM