none
HP EliteBook Folio 9470m Ultrabook - Flash Cache - Flash Cache

Question

• I'm trying to deploy Windows 7 x86 SP1 to an HP EliteBook Folio 9470m Ultrabook with Flash Cache.

I'm using MDT 2010 U1 and running the deployment from USB-media.

Reading the BDD.LOG I can see: "LTI applying image G:\Deploy\Operating Systems\W7 x86 Ent 007\7.wim using SETUP.EXE" and after 18 min  "Setup completed successfully." and "LTIApply processing completed successfully." After LTICopyscripts, ZTIConfigure, ZTIDrivers and ZTINextPhase the computer reboots and I'm getting "Windows boot manager 0xc000000f An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data".
    When I'm looking at the Boot Config with BCDEDIT.EXE I can see boot manager points at the Flash Cache installed in the machine:

HarddiskVolume3 is the Flash Cache (output from diskpart, list vol):

I've tried to read setupact.log but can't find whats going wrong.
    How to handle computers with Flash Cache in deployment with MDT?

Thursday, December 06, 2012 1:10 PM

All replies

• The 'Format and Partition Disk', by default, names the C: with a variable 'OSDisk' which you can see at the bottom of that step (in MDT 2012 at least).  It looks like in the screenshot you are using the default since your label is the same.  On the 'Install Operating System' task, what do you have selected for the "location where you want to apply this operating system"?  

Since it's correctly formatting and labeling the drives, try changing that step to "Logical drive letter stored in a variable" and point to "OSDisk".  I don't have MDT 2010 handy, so that option may not exist in that version.  If it doesn't, what are the other options and have you tried them?

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, December 06, 2012 2:15 PM
  • I'm using a custom vb-script to create 2 partitions at disk 0. First I create a 2o GB primary partition and label it Recovery. The rest of the disk is used for a primary partition labeled OSDisk. This is partition 2.

In the action for applying the operating system I'm pointing at disk 0 and partition 2. This works well. The action looks like this in MDT 2010:

I've not tried other options cause the os is applied to the disk 0 as expected but the information for the boot manager is written wrong pointing to the Flash Cache device (HarddiskVolume3).

Friday, December 07, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Why are you using a custom VBScript to create the partitions?  The builtin "Format and Partition Disk" will let you do the same thing and provides the benefits of the variables being assigned to the partitions so you can target them later.  It also does some other magic that is probably lacking in your script which is leading to the case of the Flash Cache being pointed to.  Can you try using the builtin script instead of your own?  I see that you made the 'Recovery' partition Hidden, which is probably part of your custom script.  You can do this with a diskpart script after using the default "Format and Partition Disk" if you wanted to.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Friday, December 07, 2012 2:35 PM
  • It turned out that the computer had been equipped with Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) and two disks, a HDD of 500 GB and a 30 GB SSD. RAID controller was configured as shown in the picture, which meant that it turned out two disks for the operating system (which I posted earlier).
    The problem seems to lie in how the setup.exe in Windows 7 handles multiple disks. It applies the image on disk0 partition1 as I stated in the action install operating system in the task sequence, but when to write the boot information, it selects disk1 that is configured as cache disk which also means that this information is lost upon reboot and Windows can not start.
    I think I should start a new thread to ask about how to manage the configuration of the Intel RST and install Windows with the help of MDT when you have multiple disks in your computer.

The function CacheDevice is configured by using the routine written in document http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/intel_smart_response_technology_user_guide_v11.pdf

"Enabling Intel Smart Response Technology"

• Edited by JonasM2 Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:28 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:55 PM
  • JonasM2,

I'm facing exactly the same problem with exactly the same laptop. Did you ever figure out a way to get the MDT deployment working?

Andy.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:57 PM
  • It took to many hours to solve the configuration of Intel SRT in an automated way so we changed the model of HP EliteBook Folio 9470m from product number H4P02EA to H4P04EA equipped with ONE 180 GB SSD disk instead of two disks. Sad but true.

There is a tool called RAIDCFG64.exe (or RAIDCFG32.exe for 32 bit) and a document from “PSG Americas Pre-Sales Technical Expertise Team” (HP) where you can read about automating the config of Intel SRT. Send me an email or some place to upload it if you want it.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:08 PM
  • You reverted to ONE disk?? Ouch. What a shame. Needs must, I guess.

Yes, I saw that document and was going to give it a go. How hard can it be?.... ;-)

Many thanks,

A.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:31 PM
  • Better performance using only SSD than "accelerated" disc as in the Intel Smart Response Technology.

You should absolute give it a try if you have the time.
    When I configured the discs as one disk (the hole 30 GB SSD as accelator for the 500 GB HDD) Windows 8 installed perfectly but I got some error from the Windows 7 setup, "invalid system disk" or something like that.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:17 PM
  • Yes, I can see how switching to pure SSD would be better, it's just a bit too drastic for us.

What I did is to leave the Intel SRT factory configuration as it came from HP, with the acceleration enabled, hibernation disk defined, etc. then just deployed our standard image onto the primary HD. After it finished imaging and booting I then installed the Intel SRT and RST tools and guess what? All the FlashCache config etc. stayed intact.

All I have to do now is to add a MDT app for installing the SRT and RST and I'm done. The only problem I foresee is if the FlashCache config gets destroyed. I'd then have to run the config again. Not a big deal.

Monday, June 17, 2013 6:34 PM
  • JonasM2 - do you still have that RAIDCFG executible?  We're in the same boat, but our OEM isn't helpful at all and we can't get this from Intel.

Can you email me?  pat @ dipersiatech . com

Thanks!

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:18 PM
  • Yes I'have, I've mailed you.
    Monday, September 23, 2013 7:23 AM
  • JonasM2, i'm in the same situation as Pat would you mind also emailing it to me?

d.spot @ hotmail . com

Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Hi, i am facing this same issue with an HP Folio 9470m Ultrabook. the machine just hangs after copying the winpe environment when i am doing a sccm media boot.

On trying to boot using a standalone media i am getting a BDOD after the operating system is installed...

would be grateful if anyone could help me on this......??

My email id is sibin88@gmail.com
    • Edited by Sibin Sam Monday, December 16, 2013 5:02 AM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 5:02 AM