none
Cannot install Exchange 2010 on Win Server 2k8R2

Question

• I am working in a Hyper-V lab trying to install Exchange 2010 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 server. When the installer gets to the Readiness Checks it keeps failing on the Client Access Role prerequisites, and Mailbox Role prerequisites with the following 2 errors:
    Unable to read data from the Metabase. Ensure that Microsoft Internet Information Services is installed.
    Unable to access the 'Default Web Site' on this computer.

I have checked in Server Manager and IIS is definitely installed.
    I opened the IIS Manager, and from there I *can* browse to the Default Web site.

For the 1st message, there is a link to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997645.aspx, but that site doesn't contain any useful information for Exchange 2010.
    For the 2nd message, there is a link to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997698.aspx, but I tried that and still get the same error.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    James.
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:44 AM

Answers

• Can you make sure that you have installed the pre-requisites for Windows 2008 R2? You may run it again which will install if some components of IIS are missing... 

Open Powershell with elevated rights using "Run As Administrator", and run below cmdlets to install prerequisites...

• Import-Module ServerManager
    • Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Activation,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy -Restart
    • Set-Service NetTcpPortSharing -StartupType Automatic

Exchange 2010 Prerequisites

Amit Tank
    MVP: Exchange Server | MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuration
    MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | Blog: http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com

• Edited by Amit Tank Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:56 AM adding cmdlets...
    • Marked as answer by James Kilner - old Thursday, November 05, 2009 10:05 AM
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:52 AM

All replies

• I am working in a Hyper-V lab trying to install Exchange 2010 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 server. When the installer gets to the Readiness Checks it keeps failing on the Client Access Role prerequisites, and Mailbox Role prerequisites with the following 2 errors:
    Unable to read data from the Metabase. Ensure that Microsoft Internet Information Services is installed.
    Unable to access the 'Default Web Site' on this computer.

I have checked in Server Manager and IIS is definitely installed.
    I opened the IIS Manager, and from there I *can* browse to the Default Web site.

For the 1st message, there is a link to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997645.aspx, but that site doesn't contain any useful information for Exchange 2010.
    For the 2nd message, there is a link to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997698.aspx, but I tried that and still get the same error.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    James.
    • Merged by Amit Tank Thursday, November 05, 2009 11:04 AM Merging since same question, two threads...
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:17 AM
  • Can you please put your 2010 Exchange related query on http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/exchange2010.
    Raj
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:33 AM
  • Can you make sure that you have installed the pre-requisites for Windows 2008 R2? You may run it again and it installs the missing components for IIS...

Exchange 2010 RC: Quick Installation Guide

Amit Tank

Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:35 AM
  • Can you make sure that you have installed the pre-requisites for Windows 2008 R2? You may run it again which will install if some components of IIS are missing... 

Open Powershell with elevated rights using "Run As Administrator", and run below cmdlets to install prerequisites...

• Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Activation,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy -Restart

Amit Tank

• Edited by Amit Tank Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:56 AM adding cmdlets...
    • Marked as answer by James Kilner - old Thursday, November 05, 2009 10:05 AM
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:52 AM
  • Thank you, very useful.

A little "ehnancement". if the server is also a DC(as appened in my case) it's required to run also the script found in:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=946139

Cheers.

Marco

Friday, November 13, 2009 2:10 PM
  • Thank you, very useful.

A little "ehnancement". if the server is also a DC(as appened in my case) it's required to run also the script found in:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=946139

Cheers.

Marco

Not a supported configuration to run Exchange 2010 on a domain controller, FYI.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 2:13 PM
  • Not a supported configuration to run Exchange 2010 on a domain controller, FYI.

I guess the word is "recommended", not "supported"...! :)

Amit Tank

Friday, November 13, 2009 2:30 PM
  • If its not recommended then why does MS sell SBS which has DC\Exchange\SQL on it?  does SBS have a different security config then a standard DC win2k8 ?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Because MS designs, tests, and supports that very specific configuration. They have no idea how any of us are configuring our DCs. :) It's kind of like OSX and Macs, Apple knows *exactly* what is going on and can build OSX to fit the hardware.

Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Configuration
    LMNOP
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Install IIS 6 compatibility in IIS features
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Hengen Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:04 PM
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:40 PM
  • Thats great, thanks Amit.

Cheers
    Simon
    Simon Hart
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Agreed, i found this to be interesting myself, took me a while to work this out. :D
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:54 AM

Amit Tank

Thanks Amit.  I've just followed your powershell instructions and it's fixed the problem I was experiencing, exactly the same issue that James was experiencing.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:56 AM

Amit Tank

Thanks a lot!
    I wonder why the Exchange 2010 installation doesn't just install these features automatically. I guess it's not that hard to let these PS commands run prior to installing Exchange 2010 files.

Ruud van Strijp

Ruud van Strijp - Network Infrastructure Design in the Netherlands. MCSE: 70-270, 70-284, 70-290, 70-291, 70-294, 70-297. Cisco: CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 3:49 AM
  • Checking the IIS 6 Management Compatibility in the server manager/web server (iis)/add role services worked for me.  No powershell, no scripts, just check a box and retry the install.  It would be nice if this was clearly documented as it was literally the only thing that stopped a vanilla install from moving forward.  So simple, put it on the install checklist:  IIS 6 Management Compatibility must be set to continue, just like it asked for the Office 2007 filter install, etc.

THANKS ANAND_N for a simple and fast answer.
    • Proposed as answer by M42 Thursday, May 06, 2010 9:12 PM
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Thank you very and very much!!!

This helped me to solve my issue too!

Respect!

Friday, July 09, 2010 12:58 PM
  • I had same problem and this has solved.

Thanks

Monday, August 23, 2010 4:14 PM
  • Ambit Tank thanks soilution fixed "White Page" OWA Exchange2010

Kokkos

Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Thank you.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 2:24 AM
  • MSE 2010 is very picky on pre-requisites, I revised installation step guide and I discovered I was missing one feture of IIS, adding it problem solved

Monday, December 27, 2010 11:35 PM

Amit Tank

Sorry to write on this anwsered thread but I felt this was the right one to put my question.

Do you think I would be able to install exchange on a Win2008R2 with only 1.5GB RAM? This is just for test purposes. Not production.

I have tried but I seem to have issues using smtp. If I try to telnet to from command prompt I am able to login but I get msg that I havent got enough resources.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 12:35 PM
  • might want to mention that the script restarts the server!!!!  

Monday, February 07, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Thanks Amit, the procedure is workd 100% form me on Exchange 2010 SP1 over Windows 2008 R2 Standard on Hyper-V.

Regards

Syed Osman Naeem

Friday, March 25, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Hi All,

We cannot install exchange 2010 on domain controllers. My environment i did the same mistake now i couldn't remove exchange setup files also because of partial process....

Friday, March 25, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Thank you

Had the same issue (exch 2010, Virtual Server 2008 R2), problem solved after running the scripts.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Thanks Amit, you're all over the place!  I'm installing our first Exchange 2010 mailbox and even though I thought I got all of the prerequisites i missed part of that commandlet.

Mischief managed! *waves wand*

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Thanks Anand_N, this is what fixed my problem.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:29 PM

Amit Tank

This could well be the greatest forum post ever. Thank you Amit :D
    Friday, October 21, 2011 4:22 AM
  • Open Powershell with elevated rights using "Run As Administrator", and run below cmdlets to install prerequisites... •Import-Module ServerManager •Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Activation,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy -Restart •Set-Service NetTcpPortSharing -StartupType Automatic This worked for me too.
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:37 AM
  • Well though out, crystal clear guidance. Thank you very much, sir!

Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Thank you! I was having the same issue.

I did some investigations and found out that my problem was that the IIS 6.0 Metabase Compatibility feature was not checked by default when I installed the Web Server Role (IIS). After adding that feature, the Exchange Readiness Check ran with no errors!

Best regards ;-)

Sunday, July 01, 2012 8:00 AM

Amit Tank

Thanks!!!! Perfect fix!
    Friday, September 21, 2012 4:55 PM
  • This worked for us thanks

Jamie

Saturday, September 29, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Thanks for the Powershell tips.  Took care of this problem for me too.
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 9:35 PM
  • awesome - this worked like a charm

Regards, Vinodh

Friday, May 03, 2013 1:52 PM
  • That was the solution in my case, thanks a lot.
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:03 AM
  • This worked for me as well. It should be documented!!
    Monday, September 23, 2013 12:33 PM
  • This also resolved the "Unable to read data from the Metabase" error we were receiving during our Exchange Server 2010 install on Windows Server 2012 (running on Hyper-V). Thank you for the solution.
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:32 PM