none
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2012 migration

Question

• Hi,

I'm using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010 and I noticed that it's no longer available for downloading. Instead, we have Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2012.

I Installed MDT 2012 in a new machine and connected to a MDT 2010 shared folder, I noticed that the upgrade process when connecting to the shared folder did modify some data.

Then, the MDT 2010 console in the server is no longer able to connect to that share.

I wonder if we can just upgrade the server console to MDT 2012 then the shared folders, or do we need to change something in files in order to adapt the old files for MDT 2012 infrastructure?

Do you know where I can find the MSI source for Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010?

Thanks for your help,

Thursday, October 03, 2013 11:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

MDT 2010 is still available in the MDT Archives, check this blog:
    Still need MDT 2010 Update 1? which would have lead you to here: Business Desktop Deployment (BDD) and Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) Archive

Besides this, the way how MDT works is that the 'back-end' (Deployment Share) is just a set of folders with files and scripts in it. The frontend is your machine were you have installed Windows AIK (or Windows ADK) and MDT 2012 or any other version.

So installing / configuring your server with a newer or older version of MDT does not affect your Deployment Share directly. It just installs another version of MDT.

Opening the share however with a version of MDT, determines if this share needs to be upgraded (Done automatically by MDT 2012 update 1) Opening a newer share with an older version of MDT doesn't seem possible to me. I have never tried it, since I don't have a case for it.

Besides all this, why would one still use MDT 2010, when it comes to functionality and OS support this is more decided by which version of WAIK / WADK you use.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Thursday, October 03, 2013 1:15 PM