none
How to run explorer as administrator if I use llimited user account.

Question

• Hello.

I work at multionational company in Korea and Head Office IT is in US.

For security reasons, HeadOffice IT does not give administrative account to Korean staff

So all staff in our office use  limited user account.

We definitely cannnot install or uninstall s/w.

But Banking systems in Korea have been using ActiveX based on internet banking site.

So when banks update their security s/w or release new s/w via ActiveX plug-in, We need to update.

But as I told you we cannot proceed the update because we don't have administrative privilege.

I have told this everything Headoffice IT to obtain administrative privilege.

But they said no. and said they can  give full access to certain folder if I give them the folder, which is ActiveX plug-in installed.

But as far as I know, giving full access to certain folder is useless. I think they make us to run explorer as administrator.

Am I right?

In summary.

In order to use Korean internet banking site. we need to install Active X plug-in.

but we use limited user account. So I would like to complain and demand to Head office IT to receive administrator privilege for Internet explorer.

But what I am curious about is I can run explorer as administrator on my limited user account if they do something about it.

If not, what exact folder do I have to tell them to give full access.

Please advise.

thanks in advance.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 12:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The ActiveX Installer Service (AXIS) enables IT professionals to manage the deployment of ActiveX controls by using Group Policy on computers in an organization. 

This action must be done by a member of the Administratorsgroup to modify Group Policy settings:

1. Click Start, type gpedit.mscin the Search programs and filesbox, and press ENTER to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
    2. If the User Account Controldialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Yes.
    3. In the console tree under Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components, click ActiveX Installer Service.
    4. In the details pane, right-click Approved Installation Sites for ActiveX Controls, and then click Editto open the policy setting.
    5. In the Approved Installation Sites for ActiveX Controls dialog box, click Enabled, and then under Options, click Show.
    6. In the Show Contentsdialog box, type the name for the URL where you want to allow ActiveX controls to be installed in the Value nametext box, and then type the values for the four ActiveX Installer Service host URL settings. When you add a URL, you can specify comma-delimited values that detail the settings for the ActiveX Installer Service.
    For more information, please refer to the following article:
    Administering the ActiveX Installer Service in Windows 7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd631688(v=ws.10).aspx

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 6:04 AM