none
Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 How do I add a new user and computer

Question

• We are running SBS 2003 on a Dell PowerEdge server.  We need to add a new user.  Do we add the user first and then the computer.?  He will be using his laptop.  Also how do we add a user and a computer.  I am new at the company and have been chosen to be the admin.  Also how to I tell how many users and computers we can have?  Thanks in advance for help

Mac

Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:08 PM

Answers

• NOTE:  SBS 2003 is a highly integrated software package.  Always use the (built-in) "wizards" {automated routines} with SBS 2003.  These wizards will do much of the maintenance and administrative work for you (rather than manually trying to configure and administer SBS 2003).

Review the following videos for SBS 2003 installation to familiarize yourself with SBS 2003:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Download, install and run a scan with the SBS 2003 BPA to get a baseline on the server and to install and service packs, hotfixes, etc. that it recommends: (you should be at SBS 2003 which is:  Windows 2003 SP2 and SBS 2003 SP1)

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Best Practices Analyzer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to install Service Pack 1 for SBS 2003
    http://www.smallbizserver.net/Articles/tabid/266/Id/68/How-to-install-Service-Pack-1-for-SBS-2003.aspx

In the instructions, you can substitute: 

Windows 2003 SP2 for SP1
    Exchange 2003 SP2 for SP1
    Windows Sharepoint Services SP3 for SP1

Adding a user...

Adding a user to Small Business Server 2003

How many users and computers... Log into SBS 2003 as a domain admin.  Server Management should automatically open.

Server Management | Standard Management | Licensing

This will tell you hoe many Client Access Licenses (CALs) are installed.  The first 5 can be either all User, all Devices or a combination of User and Device CALs.  Additional CALs are then added in packs of 5 and purchased as either Device or User CALs.

Server Management | Standard Management | Client Computers

This will tell you how many computers have been joined to the SBS 2003 domain.

If you have a Dynamic IP from ISP and use the POP3 Connector to retrieve mail, the following will explain the setup:

Using Remote Web Workplace
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgKDl8u8BGw
    More SBS 2003 videos

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    ============================

"CMACANDREW" wrote in message news:0b12242c-283c-439c-a0c7-d332275bb0b4...

We are running SBS 2003 on a Dell PowerEdge server.  We need to add a new user.  Do we add the user first and then the computer.?  He will be using his laptop.  Also how do we add a user and a computer.  I am new at the company and have been chosen to be the admin.  Also how to I tell how many users and computers we can have?  Thanks in advance for help

Mac

Sunday, January 23, 2011 10:19 PM

All replies

• Adding users and computers can be accomplished by Active Directory Users and Computers console.

In SBS check the install license count, that will show you haw many users/computers you can have

With kind regards
    Krystian Zieja
    http://www.projectnenvision.com
    Follow me on twitter
    My Blog
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:56 PM
  • NOTE:  SBS 2003 is a highly integrated software package.  Always use the (built-in) "wizards" {automated routines} with SBS 2003.  These wizards will do much of the maintenance and administrative work for you (rather than manually trying to configure and administer SBS 2003).

Review the following videos for SBS 2003 installation to familiarize yourself with SBS 2003:

Download, install and run a scan with the SBS 2003 BPA to get a baseline on the server and to install and service packs, hotfixes, etc. that it recommends: (you should be at SBS 2003 which is:  Windows 2003 SP2 and SBS 2003 SP1)

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Best Practices Analyzer

How to install Service Pack 1 for SBS 2003
    http://www.smallbizserver.net/Articles/tabid/266/Id/68/How-to-install-Service-Pack-1-for-SBS-2003.aspx

In the instructions, you can substitute: 

Windows 2003 SP2 for SP1
    Exchange 2003 SP2 for SP1
    Windows Sharepoint Services SP3 for SP1

Adding a user...

Adding a user to Small Business Server 2003

How many users and computers... Log into SBS 2003 as a domain admin.  Server Management should automatically open.

Server Management | Standard Management | Licensing

This will tell you hoe many Client Access Licenses (CALs) are installed.  The first 5 can be either all User, all Devices or a combination of User and Device CALs.  Additional CALs are then added in packs of 5 and purchased as either Device or User CALs.

Server Management | Standard Management | Client Computers

This will tell you how many computers have been joined to the SBS 2003 domain.

If you have a Dynamic IP from ISP and use the POP3 Connector to retrieve mail, the following will explain the setup:

Using Remote Web Workplace
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgKDl8u8BGw
    More SBS 2003 videos

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    ============================

"CMACANDREW" wrote in message news:0b12242c-283c-439c-a0c7-d332275bb0b4...

We are running SBS 2003 on a Dell PowerEdge server.  We need to add a new user.  Do we add the user first and then the computer.?  He will be using his laptop.  Also how do we add a user and a computer.  I am new at the company and have been chosen to be the admin.  Also how to I tell how many users and computers we can have?  Thanks in advance for help

Mac

Sunday, January 23, 2011 10:19 PM
  • Adding users and computers can be accomplished by Active Directory Users and Computers console.

In SBS check the install license count, that will show you haw many users/computers you can have

With kind regards
    Krystian Zieja
    http://www.projectnenvision.com
    Follow me on twitter
    My Blog

please DO NOT advise people to ad users to SBS via ADUC. You may choose to ignore the SBS console and wizards but pls DO NOT encourage this in others.
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 11:38 PM