none
How to rebuild virtual directories for Exchange 2010

Question

• I had a problem with OWA and error 400. After authenticating on OWA page the Error 400 message would come up. If I click refresh I went into the mailbox as normal. I tried reseting the virtual directories and now the EWS directory is gone from ECP. It still shows up in IIS but wjen you click on Authentication it just shows Retreiving status and an error box pops up. Error: Configuration section not allowed to be set below application.

Any ideas how I can rebuild the EWS directory or just wipe them out and rebuild all?

Thanks

Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:56 PM

Answers

• Easiest way to get backup EWS , if you have shadow copy enabled on the drive restore(From working date) applicationhost.config under c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config and perform IISreset.

If that does not works then perform the following.

1.C:\windows\system32>inetsrv> appcmd add backup " Name of the backup"

2. From ExchangePowershell

Remove-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -Identity "EWS (Default Web Site)" -Confirm:$false

New-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -WebsiteName "Default Web Site" -InternalUrl "https://Sites/EWS/Exchange.asmx" -basicauthentication 1 -windowsauthentication 1

3. IISreset.

4. Follow the step 3 of resolution section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940726 to set the InternalUrl .

Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:55 PM

All replies

• Easiest way to get backup EWS , if you have shadow copy enabled on the drive restore(From working date) applicationhost.config under c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config and perform IISreset.

If that does not works then perform the following.

1.C:\windows\system32>inetsrv> appcmd add backup " Name of the backup"

2. From ExchangePowershell

Remove-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -Identity "EWS (Default Web Site)" -Confirm:$false

New-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -WebsiteName "Default Web Site" -InternalUrl "https://Sites/EWS/Exchange.asmx" -basicauthentication 1 -windowsauthentication 1

3. IISreset.

4. Follow the step 3 of resolution section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940726 to set the InternalUrl .

Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

Xcellentmind’s suggestion is correct. You could follow it to rebuild the virtual directories for Exchange server 2010

Please use the commands in the Exchange Management Shell.

Thx,

James
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 9:20 AM
  • If EWS is not showing up in the console but is showing up in IIS you might not be able to run remove-webservicesvirtualdirectory.

Monday, August 15, 2011 11:46 AM
  • "If EWS is not showing up in the console but is showing up in IIS you might not be able to run remove-webservicesvirtualdirectory."

If that is the case you don't have to remove it just recreate it with the command provided earlier. Let me know how it goes.

Monday, August 15, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Just a correction to the above post:

If it exists in IIS and not in Exchange then it needs to be manually removed from the IIS console;

If you recreate is without removing it from the IIS console then the command will fails as that path will exist in IIS already.

Monday, August 15, 2011 4:06 PM
  • I have this same issue.  EWS exists in IIS, but not in exchange so i cannot remove, new, or set with webservicesvirtualdirectory.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:31 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the commands that xcellentmind provided? Please let me know the result.

Note: Please backup your IIS configuration files before attempt to recreate the EWS virtual directory.

The result is very important to analyze the issue we are facing now. If there is any update please drop me a note. Thanks.

James
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

How is everything going? If there is anything unclear or any inquires towards the issue. Please drop me a note!

Thx,

James
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:00 AM
  • HI

i have the same problem, EWS exist in IIS but not in exchange 

DEPA
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:25 AM