none
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 tries to install twice

Question

• I am trying to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 in a task sequence.  I have used the setup.exe /quiet /nodialog option and also tried with /norestart and /forcerestart.

I keep gettting an error at the end of the sequence on the summary page... Service Pack 1 returned an unexpected return code: 985603

So, I took off the /quiet switch to watch what was going on.  Well, once the service pack installs and reboots, the task sequence progress bar comes up and still says "installing service pack 1".  Then the dialog pops up that says "service pack 1 is already installed".  So, it's trying to install it twice in the task sequence for some reason.  The /quiet switch gets past this and the build continues, however I don't like receiving that errror and want to know what it means and how to keep it from installing twice.  If it means nothing, that's fine but I question the integrity of the installation.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 1:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• why aren't you using windows 7 images with the service pack integrated?

• Marked as answer by rob.irvin Thursday, March 07, 2013 6:47 PM
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:29 AM
  • I am using an existing corporate image that I don't create, but some of my post Apps I am testing in the lab require SP1 such as App-V client 5.

I just found out this morning that the image will be updated next month to include SP1.  So, for now I will ignore the error and continue my testing.  I can revalidate everything works when the new image is created. 

Thanks for your response which is the correct one.

Rob

Thursday, March 07, 2013 6:50 PM