none
How to get rid of thumbnails in conversations in Lync 2013

Question

• After the last update Lync 2013 shows thumbnails next to every IM in the conversation window. Is there a way to get rid of these? I couldn't find anything in the options. It takes up a lot of space and is completely useless for me, as admin has disabled showing pictures in Lync anyway, so the thumbnails only show the gray-white default picture.
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• As far as I know, the short answer is no after the CU3 Lync 2013 client update is applied.

See Cumulative Update for Lync Desktop Client 2013: November 2013.

Thanks / rgds,

TechNet/MSDN Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com

• Marked as answer by pahe81 Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:06 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Ok. Just have to hope that some future update will enable this. Thanks for the answer.
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:06 AM
  • I swear, the current Microsoft product group  does some of the most stupid things.    I mean, no bigger fanboy around, but - geez.   The convo window looks absolutely stupid now.  I would love to know the reasoning behind this. 

if my post is helpful - please click on the green arrow. (please excuse, in advance, any perceived sarcasm/humor - as I often forget it does not translate through text) :)

• Edited by Greg Seeber Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:22 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Yea! It's called reverting the CU3 update!

Control Panel > programs and features > view installed updates > Remove KB2825630

This update is garbage, and it not only killed my URL internal posted lync pics, but also places way to many pics in the convo area.. as you are questioning about. No other main feature seem to be affected...

CHEERS!

• Proposed as answer by Zewwy Friday, November 22, 2013 8:32 PM
    Friday, November 22, 2013 8:32 PM
  • Do we know if Microsoft is going to add back in the ability to remove pictures from displaying in the conversation window?  We are not using this feature yet, so it takes up space and detracts from the user experience with it just showing a shadow-like pic.  
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:24 PM
  • We (Lync MVPs) have asked the Product Group to add an Option into a future Lync update to hide the photos in the conversation stream. No commitment yet but they've heard the request.

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:26 PM