none
laptop with 1TB hdd and 24GB SSD. what's the use of ssd if it only has 24GB capacity

Question

• sorry for my bad english

i bought my laptop without os. I know that this is designed for windows 8 because of the drivers are for windows 8 only and can't installed on windows 7. The Sale representative told me that the SSD provides faster booting. but the question is how can i install windows 8.1 on ssd with only 24gb capacity? i really need to install adobe master collection and corel after installing the OS. We all know that these applications occupy and need huge capacity.

thanks a lot

• Edited by jaybonline Wednesday, April 02, 2014 7:16 PM
    Wednesday, April 02, 2014 5:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Usually, the small SSD is used as a Cache for the HDD. You would not install Windows on the SSD, but on the HDD. The smaller SSD can be leveraged by various technologies to help speed up your system by caching most used files on the SSD. Intel (for example) has several responsiveness technologies that make use of the small SSDs documented here on their Responsiveness Technologies page.

Hope this helps,

David
    Windows Outreach Team - IT Pro
    The Springboard Series on TechNet

• Marked as answer by jaybonline Wednesday, April 02, 2014 7:10 PM
    Wednesday, April 02, 2014 6:22 PM
  • thank you so much, David!  ^_^
    Wednesday, April 02, 2014 7:10 PM
  • David,

I had the same question. But before asking in a forum, i formated my original notebook and installed windows 7 at ssd 24gb hd. Using for 2 hours and it is full.

So i started reading about it and everybody say to keep ssd for cache memory.

Now, as it is not possible to get back on time, id like to configurate correctly.

So, i should format both hd and ssd, intall windows 7 at 500gb hd and how do i make the cache system?

Like original default system.

Thanks

Friday, May 02, 2014 1:40 AM
  • You make sure your SATA mode in the BIOS is set to RAID mode. Then install Windows onto the HDD. After install, make sure to install Chipset drivers. Then you can install the Intel Smart Response software. When you open it, it should detect the SSD and set it up appropriately.
    Friday, May 02, 2014 3:34 PM