none
software center app install fails with error(1603)

Question

• Hi all,

My application keeps failing to install from software center with an error code (1603)

The DP has updated content.  The user is local admin.  This is on win7 x64. SCCM 2012. This is advertised to the computer.

This is the install program;  msiexec /i "sqlncliwin7x64.msi" /quiet

The source location for this msi is public.

The errors look like this is a permissions issue but I don't see how.

If you'd like to see any log files please say which and I'll post them shortly.

Thanks!

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:05 PM

All replies

• Can you install the application runing "msiexec /i "sqlncliwin7x64.msi" /quiet" manually on the client?

When there is an error message rerun the setup with verbose logging enabled

msiexec /i <msipath>sqlncliwin7x64.msi /l*v c:\temp\msi.log and check the log file for more info

• Edited by dekac99 Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:18 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:13 PM

• The errors look like this is a permissions issue but I don't see how.

1603 just tells you "Fatal error during installation". Have have to examine the msi logfile in order to find the cause (you might have to add logging parameters).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

Edit:Yes, Jason is absolutely right,sorry for the mistake.

SCCM: Software Distribution Fails with Error Code 1603 in Execmgr.log

http://richardbalsley.com/sccm-software-distribution-fails-with-error-code-1603-in-execmgr-log

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, November 15, 2013 9:53 AM
  • Navigate to the following folder and run the following commands:

C:\Windows\System32\Wbem

for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof *.mfl') do mofcomp %s
    for /f %s in ('dir /b /s *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s

First command will recompile all the mof fils under the WBEM folder

Second command will register all the .dlls under the WBEM folder

Reboot the machine and reinstall client again.

Do not perform the above -- the issue in this thread has *nothing* to do with WMI or the WMI repository. As Torsten pointed out, 1603 is a generic failure message from Widows Installer that indicates something went wrong during the install of the MSI -- the issue usually occurs in a custom action and thus Widows Installer has no real way of providing details on the failure. As Torsten pointed out also, you need to generate a Widows Installer log file (using /l*v on the msiexec command-line) and examine it to determine the source of the issue.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Friday, November 15, 2013 4:18 PM