none
Hyper-V Server Headache

Question

• Dear All

At present, I am trying to get started on MSCA/MSCE training. My intention was to dowload a free Lab from:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/p/earlyexpertlabsetup.aspx#.Ufc8nt2Gmql

I had a few issues so decided to go for the 'Free Hyper-V Server 2012' download (big mistake as a beginner)

I followed the download, burn to DVD and install instructions and created a back up of my Windows 7 Ultimate OS

Destination is a Laptop PC with all of the spec requirements

After installatiuon of Hyper-V Server 2012, I noticed that Win7 OS had gone (overwritten/deleted?)

I have been, without success, trying re-install Win7 directly on the physical HD and also trying to battle my way through Server Core/PowerShell to try to create a new VHD/VHM to copy the Win7 to the Hyper-V OS too, also with no success

I've copied the Win7 OS to a USB drive and tried all boot settings in BIOS to boot in order from DVD-USB-Network-Hardrive, to no avail. It still only boots from the HD

I created a RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) from my Mac (only secondary computer I have) and have been able to control the Hyper-V from the desktop, but cannot install anything onto the Hyper-V Server

Actually, I've been scouring the internet and have spent 2 weeks trying to solve this problem (part baptism of fired, part embarrassment). I've called MS helpdesk, who were zero help, and told me to contact the manufacturer ONLY!

I would appreciate any advice on this matter, as I am completely at a loss what to do and it's soul destroying for my hope to be able to study MCSA/MCSE fails at the first step!!!!

Thanks in advance

• Edited by gregory321 Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:33 AM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that you are trying to format the disk when boot into operation system (Windows Server Server core).

You could boot with an installation disk such as Windows 2012 or Windows 7 installation disk and delete all partitions there.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:54 AM

All replies

• I understand that you are trying to follow proper steps as per manual. But playing with Core Version of 2008 can be a lot of problem if you are new to it.

I would rather use the console version in your case.

Secondly, copying the Windows 7 OS to a USB will not make it bootable. You will need to format the USB first and then make a partition and then make it active. You could try the below commands using diskpart of an Windows 7 or Windows 2008 above machine and make the USB bootable. Post that copy the contents and test.

• Insert a USB flash drive into your computer
    • Start a Command Prompt as an Administrator and type diskpart. This starts the Disk Partition tool which you need to use to format the flash drive. Once you see the DISKPART command prompt, type in the following commands
    • DISKPART> list disk                                 /* shows list of active disks */
    • DISKPART> select disk #                         /* # is the number for your USB flash drive */
    • DISKPART> clean                                     /* deletes any existing partitions on the USB flash drive */
    • DISKPART> create partition primary     /* create a primary partition on the USB flash drive */
    • DISKPART> select partition 1                 /* select the newly created partition */
    • DISKPART> active                                    /* make the new partition active */
    • DISKPART> format FS=NTFS                 /* format the USB drive with NTFS file system */
    • DISKPART> assign                                   /* assign a volume and drive letter to the USB drive */
    • DISKPART> exit                                        /* exit Disk Partition */

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:50 AM
  • Thanks Vik

I agree that Hyper-V Server has too much of a steep learning curve for me in my present situation, therefore, once I have re-installed thr original Win7 OSon my laptop, I will be looking at GUI versions etc

As for now, my priamary objective is to restore my computer to its original state as Win7 PC

Fomatted USB as per instructions, but as my original WIN7 OS is on my MAc, how o I now copy it to the formatted USB? There is an error worning when I try to copy the Win7 OS to the USB now

Greg

• Edited by gregory321 Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:24 AM update
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:18 AM
  • Yes, if you follow the steps in the earlier post using Diskpart and then copy the contents from the root of the folder - From a MAC or Windows etc. It should work.

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:21 AM
  • Hi Vik

I followed your steps exactly, twice

When I try to copy the WIN7 OS now there is an error message saying that this USB cannot be modified and there are only 'read only' permissions

Greg

• Edited by gregory321 Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:50 AM typo
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:47 AM
  • Can you copy a simple file? Try connecting to a Windows machine and then try?

See similar from MAC copy - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3982058?start=0&tstart=0

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:50 AM
  • Hi Vik

Unfortunately, your suggestion didn't work

I physically removed the HD and plugged it into my Mac using a USB adapter

I can now see the 4 partions on the disk

It seems that the original Win7 OS folder is still on it, but I am unable to delete the Hyper V folder as it has read only privilages

I am thinking that the only way of solving this problem is by buying a new HD and installing my backed up win7 OS

Is there a way of reformatting the original HD and installing my Win7 OS backup?

Greg

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:21 AM
  • Hi All

I've been trying to reformat my HDD from Hyper-V Server 2012 back to Win7 

I have only Server Core, so I've been struggling through command line

In diskpart I am unable to reformat the boot disk, Disk 0 (298gb = total). There is also Disk 1 (0b = not media) 

There are 4 primary partions on Disk 0

I have tried to convert 1 partition into an extended partition so I could create logical drives but was unable to convert

I've tried the <clean> cmd but "Virtual Diisk Service error":

Clean is not allowed on the current boot, system, pagefile, crash dump or hibernation volume

How can I reformat this HDD completely (preferred) or create a new partition that I can re-insatall and boot Win7 from

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that you are trying to format the disk when boot into operation system (Windows Server Server core).

You could boot with an installation disk such as Windows 2012 or Windows 7 installation disk and delete all partitions there.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:54 AM
  • Thanks, but I am using Hyper v server non GUI, so have to use server core
    Monday, September 30, 2013 9:29 AM