none
File replication config question

Question

• One of our DCs is reporting it is unable to replicate with another DC. The DC it can't replicate with does not exist and is not listed as a replication partner. There is no DNS entry for this machine so I'm confused about this warning message and how I can remove it.

The DC reporting this was brought online to replace another which had serious issues, it was initially named using the ID being given in the warning, the original DC was demoted and removed from service, the new one was then renamed and \all references to it's temporary name were removed but, months later, it is now reporting this issue

It is running Server 2008 R2, it is a DNS server, there are no references to the rogue server name in DNS, hosts or lmhosts. File replication configuration lists all existing DCs as replication partners, there are no other machines listed.

• Edited by GADavies Monday, August 05, 2013 4:14 PM
    Monday, August 05, 2013 4:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Amy,

Thanks for the replies. I ran DCDIAG (do this most days to keep a check on what the DCs are reporting), and saw it now passes all replication tests. I have to admit I didn't run this yesterday so I went digging through the logs and found the error seems to have stopped being reported after Monday afternoon so it would apear the issue has resolved itself.

Thanks for your help. 

• Marked as answer by GADavies Thursday, August 08, 2013 1:35 PM
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to help you to remove the warning message which you have mentioned, so could you please post out the exact warning message?

And how many DCs in your domain? Could you please tell me more about the DC replacement process? That would be very helpful.

Best Regards,

Amy Wang
    Tuesday, August 06, 2013 8:53 AM
  • Hello,

it sounds for me that you have had a DC that was not removed correct from the domain, just deleting it from AD sites and services and DNS zones is NOT enough.

Please check with http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/05/16/active-directory-metadata-cleanup.aspx

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by VR38DETTMVP Tuesday, August 06, 2013 10:55 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by GADavies Thursday, August 08, 2013 1:37 PM
    Tuesday, August 06, 2013 9:46 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply, however this does not answer the question, please see below.

This is not the case. The DC was removed using DCPROMO and all roles were seized by other DCs. The server that still appears in the system logs was not removed, it was renamed using netdom. All metadata relating to the old name should be removed as part of this process but it would appear the renamed DC still has some metadata relating to it's original name. Also, if it was a case of the machine not being removed correctly it would not be just one DC reporting issues, in this case it is just the one machine.

The process to clean up metadata assumes the machine is still in AD and can be removed, that is not the case here so I need to find another way to clean up the metadata 

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Hi GADavies,

According to your reply, only the renamed DC is reporting the warning in the domain, and the warning is that  the renamed DC cannot replicate with the old DC (name), right?

Could you please run DCDiag.exe on the problematic DC, then post out the results?

Here is a link may be useful to you:

file replication services fails after failed DC rename attempt

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/470940cc-8587-4368-beb1-2aa729e0b9b4/file-replication-services-fails-after-failed-dc-rename-attempt

Best Regards,

Amy Wang
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 8:02 AM
  • Hi Amy,

Thanks for the replies. I ran DCDIAG (do this most days to keep a check on what the DCs are reporting), and saw it now passes all replication tests. I have to admit I didn't run this yesterday so I went digging through the logs and found the error seems to have stopped being reported after Monday afternoon so it would apear the issue has resolved itself.

Thanks for your help. 

• Marked as answer by GADavies Thursday, August 08, 2013 1:35 PM
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 1:35 PM
  • Hi GADavies,

Thank you for your kindly reply.I'm glad it worked out!

Please feel free to ask us if any problem occurs.

Best Regards,

Amy

Monday, August 12, 2013 9:44 AM