none
Evaluation vs Standard

Question

• Bah - i just realized i installed an evaluation copy of windows 2012 Standard.  I need to go live with this and had purchased an R2 OEM license. I've read the articles about changing eval to retail - but i'm not having any luck.

I've just downloaded the R2 full version and it won't let me upgrade the existing build :(

Am i forced now to just format and re-install from scratch???  Really would rather not.

Monday, February 24, 2014 3:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Looks like it should work.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574204.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:17 AM
  • OEM licenses are special licenses that are only to be sold for with a specific server.  You can update an evaluation copy to a retail or volume media, but not to OEM.

Don't know if they can do anything, but you might try calling Microsoft's activation center directly.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:54 AM
  • I misread the article the OEM conversion was only for Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:11 AM
  • Lesson Learned - do not download any MS ISO from Microsoft from their websites.  This will only cause grief and frustration.  They are 'free' time bombed non-convertible demos only.

I deal with a lot of Open License stuff and it has its own ISO downloads for the product.  

So only download the 'free' ISO from MS if you're just testing.  But don't make your test into a production machine.

I got the right media, formatted and re-installed from scratch.

Case closed.  Thanks to all that tried.

Thursday, March 06, 2014 3:02 PM