none
How to recover my files back from an unformatted drive?

Question

• Here is my issue:

I have a WD external hard drive which always works well. However, recently, every time I plunged it into my computer, a window would pop out and asked whether I wanted to re-format this drive or not. 

My boy friend thought this may be because I had not pulled out this drive with “Safely Remove Hardware” tool and recommended me to try some data recovery applications before formatting it.

But, I didn’t know what I should do! Currently, I have not formatted this drive yet! Please give me any suggestion to recover my files on this drive.

Thank you in advance!
    Friday, July 05, 2013 3:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Patball00,

Regarding data recovery issue, generally, due to the complexity of this kind of issues and to avoid possible data losing risk, it is highly recommended that you contact some professional data recovery companies for help.

Best regards,

Karen Hu

Monday, July 08, 2013 9:36 AM
  • What your boy friend said could be a possible reason for your drive problem.

Actually, in my personal experiences, the unformatted drive often could occur for many reasons, such as the improper operation, power surge, hard drive problem and even the operating problem. But, from your words, we also could be not sure what has caused your problems.

Therefore, in this case, data recovery service could be a really good way to go.

You could ask for a professional data recovery company to help you and prepare to pay much money for it.

You also could firstly try to use some highly recommended drive data recovery freeware available online, such as Recuva,TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc, if you really have no extra money for it.

No matter which way you choose to restore your data, you should never save anything new on this drive in case of data loss.

Afterwards, format this drive and see whether it could functionally work as before. Otherwise, you have to get a new one.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 2:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Patball00,

Regarding data recovery issue, generally, due to the complexity of this kind of issues and to avoid possible data losing risk, it is highly recommended that you contact some professional data recovery companies for help.

Best regards,

Karen Hu

Monday, July 08, 2013 9:36 AM
  • What your boy friend said could be a possible reason for your drive problem.

Actually, in my personal experiences, the unformatted drive often could occur for many reasons, such as the improper operation, power surge, hard drive problem and even the operating problem. But, from your words, we also could be not sure what has caused your problems.

Therefore, in this case, data recovery service could be a really good way to go.

You could ask for a professional data recovery company to help you and prepare to pay much money for it.

You also could firstly try to use some highly recommended drive data recovery freeware available online, such as Recuva,TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc, if you really have no extra money for it.

No matter which way you choose to restore your data, you should never save anything new on this drive in case of data loss.

Afterwards, format this drive and see whether it could functionally work as before. Otherwise, you have to get a new one.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 2:52 AM