none
Backup and Restoring Server 2012 R2 Evaluation Copy

Question

• Hello fellow technofreaks!

I am hoping you can assist with this one. I recently began working as a Network Admin at a school district. The vast majority of our network is ran from a V-Block using a lot of EMC and VMware vCenter. Coming on board I wanted to prove that Microsoft's 2012 R2 platform (System Center, VM Manager, etc) was viable for a lot of what we needed to do.

I created a huge deployment of the evaluation copies of all of the Microsoft components to prove that it was up to snuff and easy to manage. I created a backup of the main server image in order to move it to a more powerful server to begin configuring some VMs for the new servers we ordered to deploy 2012 R2. The problem is, it is not seeing the backup at all. It won't acknowledge its existence, nor will it take the VMM I created either.

If I lose all of the deployment I setup, well, I can't say I will be to ecstatic. I have spent months building various deployment and test scenarios. Nearly everything I had built to prove to management this was a hugely viable future for us may be lost.

Are backups of the Server 2012 R2 evaluation not viable for recovery?

Sunday, January 26, 2014 2:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• How/what did you actually back up? It sounds like you were deploying Hyper-V and running 2012 R2 VMs within? Were you backing up each VM using Windows Server Backup, or exporting the VMs from with Hyper-V Manager. You mention it won't take the VMM you created - again, is this a backup of your VMM instance, and what won't take it?

Please detail a little more info as to how you backed up/exported your VMs and what process you are using to try and then restore/import them. I'm not aware of any limitations with restoring evaluation versions of Windows Server 2012 R2, so it may just be something lost in the process.

Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:32 PM
  • 1. In school environment you can use software within the education framework. You can avoid using trial versions.

2. SCVMM 2012 R2 supports various hypervisors including 3rd pty ones. You can backup VM with the help of SCVMM. You do not neeed low level backup.More appropriate forum is here

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/home?category=virtualmachinemanager

3. SC 2012 R2 is licensed with one key for all components and you can alternatively use Data Protection Manager for host.

4. For better help more accurate description is needed.

Regards

Milos

Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:22 PM