none
Subscriptions and Data Sources

Question

• I'm trying to create a subscription within a report, but I get the common error that the credentials must be stored within the report.  I understand the reason for this, but my issue is that within the report, I can choose a custom data source, supply the connection string and then select the option to store the credentials.  The connection test works, but I still get the subscription cannot be created error after I hit apply and attempt to create a subscription.

The only way I can bypass the error is if I change the shared data source (outside of the report scope) to store the credentials instead of using integrated security.  Does the subscription look for credentials at the data source at the report level or at any shared data source SSRS server level?  I've also attempted to setup another data source with the same connection string, supplying credentials, but a different name, but that did not work either.  I have to maintain the first shared data source for the specific DB for it to work.  I'd rather not have to specify credentials at the SSRS data source level, but at the data source report level.  Is this not supported or designed this way?

SSRS version 2008 R2

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Jjboyd,

If we have multiple datasource (embedded datasource or shared datasource) in our report,  you should stroe credentials for each datasource when creating a subscription.

In your scenario, how many datasources in your report? Do you use a shared datasource? Please refer to the link below to see how to store credentials for a datasource.
    Store Credentials for a Data Source (Report Manager)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 21, 2013 2:57 AM
  • Charlie,

Thanks for the reply.  My report only has one data source in it.  When I set it to an embedded data source and specify the credentials as specified in your link, the subscription still errors out that I need to store the credentials.  The only way it appears to work is if I specify credentials at the shared datasource level, even if the report is not using that shared datasource.  It seems the subscription validation is looking at the shared datasource when the report is using the embedded.

Friday, June 21, 2013 1:06 PM
  • I unmarked the post as answer because as stated in my previous reply, the subscription options are unavailable even when specifying credentials in the single data source embedded within the report.  When I specify credentials in the embedded report data source, the error that credentials must be specified is thrown.
    Friday, June 28, 2013 7:34 PM