none
Inplace upgrade from 2012 to 2012 R2 fails when nearly complete

Question

• Greetings,

I've tried several times to upgrade a Server 2012 Standard running Hyper-V to R2 several times now with no success.

The setup will start fine. There are no "compatibility" issues found or reported and the setup then proceeds as expected.

It gets all the way through the phases and past the installing features, reboots, does all the hardware devices install and completes that, then does another reboot and gives me a BSOD (sorry, windows could not start sad face)

It will then reboot again and just keep doing that until I catch the boot menu and select the option to roll back to previous Windows. It then goes through the revert process and gives me a functioning machine again.

It's very much like this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/23d088d4-9ce0-4f12-a8c5-9bde3979e372/windows-server-2012-r2-upgrade-fails?forum=winserver8gen

• I have checked and there are NO disk volumes at all without drive letters
    • I have tried setting all Hyper-V and other 3rd party app services to manual and disabled
    • I tried disabling VT support from the bios (this was an issue on a workstation upgrading from Win8 to Win8.1)
    • I've unplugged all external drives and the UPS connection (only mouse/keyboard attached)

This server is running a full GUI, and apart from the UPS and RAID disk controller there are no other apps or software installed.

I am doing the install from a copy of all the DVD ISO files placed on a directory on the C: and there is over 550GB free space

I first tried this several months ago and gave up. I just tried again today with a newer ISO of 2012R2 but still the same issue.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 11:06 AM

Answers

• Ah well, time to close this issue.

Over the last few weeks the server was becoming increasingly unstable and tending to bluescreen every 3 or so days. While the VM's were coping and would recover, little issues were starting to creep into them as well. I suspect the multiple attempts to upgrade and the resulting "revert" led to the instability.

So I finally got time this weekend and just reformatted the OS disks and reinstalled with 2012 R2 from scratch. After that it was a relatively simple enough process to reattach (import in place) the VM's and all is now good again with R2 chugging away quite happily. All up the 4 hours it took were far less than the time "repairing" the system after the BSOD's. I should have just done that months ago in the first place.

Monday, June 30, 2014 7:31 AM

All replies

• Does your system vendor have a BIOS update?  Not uncommon for a vendor to require a BIOS or firmware update to move from one version of the OS to the next.

Do you have the latest disk drivers for 2012 R2 for your system?  Not as likely to be an issue as a BIOS/firmware issue, but I have seen a similar behavior when an OS did not have the disk drivers available.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Sunday, May 18, 2014 10:26 PM
  • There is a minor BIOS update that I will probably apply to be sure, although the release notes only say it is for additional support for newer CPU's. All drivers are either updated with ones that are already R2 supported, or are devices that say to just use the drivers that come OOB in 2012/R2. This is a "white box" that I've built myself, but it effectively uses the same "enterprise class" components and is fully 2012R2 compatible.

I was able to do a clean install of 2012R2 using a different drive that I connected up, so I know the system is capable of running R2, the issue seems to be somewhere in the upgrade process that messes it all up. I'd rather avoid having to do a fresh install at this time though.

Because the upgrade actually seems to get through all the steps of hardware detection etc I'm at a loss where the failure is. My first guess is that there is some "other" driver that the system has decided is more suitable for something (and is incompatible) than the one I'm currently using.

Monday, May 19, 2014 1:39 AM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the following article, some scenarios are not supported.

Upgrade Options for Windows Server 2012 R2

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303416.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:56 AM
  • Thanks, but I'm well aware of those scenarios. In this case non of them apply.

This server was a fresh build from the RTM 2012 media, and the same "language" etc is being used. It passes all the pre-reqs and I know all the hardware is supported and can work in R2. The upgrade process completes without reporting any errors and it is just at the very final stage when it decides to bluescreen for no apparent reason (yet).

If I have an unsupported scenario, then it's not one of the ones listed on that article.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:13 AM
  • Ah well, time to close this issue.

Over the last few weeks the server was becoming increasingly unstable and tending to bluescreen every 3 or so days. While the VM's were coping and would recover, little issues were starting to creep into them as well. I suspect the multiple attempts to upgrade and the resulting "revert" led to the instability.

So I finally got time this weekend and just reformatted the OS disks and reinstalled with 2012 R2 from scratch. After that it was a relatively simple enough process to reattach (import in place) the VM's and all is now good again with R2 chugging away quite happily. All up the 4 hours it took were far less than the time "repairing" the system after the BSOD's. I should have just done that months ago in the first place.

Monday, June 30, 2014 7:31 AM