none
Windows 8 File History Backup - recover to Windows 7 system?

Question

• Dear all,

I was looking for a solution to my problem, but I could not find any and I was hoping to get some help here.

I used to have a Windows 8 laptop running nicely until it crashed and the system is unrecoverable. Good I had a backup setup with File History. :)

I am now going back to a Windows 7 system. Now I am looking for a way to recover the files saved through File History to my Windows 7 system. I can see the folder and the files in it are working - however there are multiple versions and the file name always includes a date.

Is there any alternative program for windows 7 to recover such windows 8 file history backups? Is there any other way to migrate this data?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Karl

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:32 PM

Answers

• KC

AFAIK File history  is not meant to be a total system backup, it is solely for a file/application that needs to be reverted back to a previous version.  There is no script or other method to use to restore a file history back to the exact point where the system was.  That is what a restore point is for.

Added to that you cant use win 8 file history in win 7 (the files are different)

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, December 23, 2013 5:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, we didn't have any special method to restore these files but copy them to the folder. It would be better to make a test for this event and I would make a test on my test machine tomorrow.

If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Windows related issue, let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:53 PM
  • Hi Roger!

Thank you so much for your reply!

I will need at least a script or something that allows me to clean up the duplicate files (different versions of the same file stored by file history) and remove the time stamp from the file names - so that I can recover a consistent folder/file structure.

If there is any program you are aware of or any tool that can do that - that would be awesome!

Best regards,

Karl

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:42 PM
  • Any help would be highly appreciated!!!
    Monday, December 23, 2013 5:24 PM
  • KC

AFAIK File history  is not meant to be a total system backup, it is solely for a file/application that needs to be reverted back to a previous version.  There is no script or other method to use to restore a file history back to the exact point where the system was.  That is what a restore point is for.

Added to that you cant use win 8 file history in win 7 (the files are different)

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, December 23, 2013 5:32 PM