none
Default vs. Microsoft vs. Customized Column Definitions Clarification Needed

Question

• I apologize in advance if this is too n00b of a question, but I'm having hard time figuring out what each column entails. Does Default column and its values correspond to origianal values that are applies by default with OS/application install? If yes, what is the difference between Microsoft and Customized? I guess I'm trying to understand that if, for example, I pick Win7-SSLF-Laptop baseline and leave it unchanged, settings from which column would get applied - Default, Microsoft or Customized?
    Again, pardon the potentially dumb question, but I can't seem to find clarification anywhere.

Thanks!

Friday, January 21, 2011 4:29 AM

Answers

• Kurt is dead-on, I will only add that they appear the same (Customized vs. Microsoft) because you have yet to customize a setting in one of your baselines. The idea in SCM is that you “duplicate” one or more of our (Microsoft’s) baselines and then tailor them to your particular environment. 

We’ve bolded this setting to call out to you that it varies from the Microsoft recommendation. Hope this clarifies the UI. As Kurt mentions, we are making a great effort in v2.0 for simplification. J

Cheers!

Jeff dot Sigman at microsoft dot com
    {Programmer Dude}
    Microsoft | Solution Accelerators

Friday, January 21, 2011 8:35 PM

All replies