none
System not booting after messing up with regedit

Question

• Hi 

I am having a windows 7 dell pc. I have accidentally deleted 'upperfilter' key in 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967- E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}'  path in 'regedit'.

After that I am not able to boot my system.It shows 2 options while restarting

• 'Repair in repair tool'

If i select this option then it tries to repair the windows but at the end it unable to do so and system get restarted.

• Start windows normally

It restarts again.

Is there any way to restore system or copy the old registry files at the time of boot??

Please help me in resolving this problem.

Thanks,

Sunil 

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:34 AM

Answers

• Did you try rebooting your system in "Last Know Good Configuration" mode?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:08 AM
  • Have you tried using F8 when the system is booting?

F8 has been the default for this since Windows XP, maybe even NT.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:35 AM
  • Insert the Windows 7 installation disk and perform startup repair, if F8 options are not working.

Balaji Kundalam

Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:52 AM

All replies

• Did you try rebooting your system in "Last Know Good Configuration" mode?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:08 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I tried F2 and F12 at the time up but there is no such option.Could you please tell me how to get this option.

Thanks

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:23 AM
  • Press F8.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:34 AM
  • FYI : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/using-last-known-good-configuration

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:34 AM
  • Have you tried using F8 when the system is booting?

F8 has been the default for this since Windows XP, maybe even NT.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:35 AM
  • I tried F8 but its not responding anything.Is it applicable in windows 7?
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:32 AM
  • Yes, keep hitting F8 unless you get the windows screen.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 2:00 PM
  • I tried F8 but its not responding anything.Is it applicable in windows 7?

Yes, by using the word "since" it implies it is still applicable.  F8 definitely works with Windows 7 and I would suspect it evens works in Windows 8.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 4:12 PM
  • Insert the Windows 7 installation disk and perform startup repair, if F8 options are not working.

Balaji Kundalam

Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:52 AM
  • Any updates?

Friday, October 11, 2013 5:02 AM