none
I keep breaking the Win7 64bit 20 client connections limit with only 10 workstations !!

General discussion

• I have just changed a WinXP computer acting as a workgroup server to a Win7 64 bit. I have 10 workstations in a simple workgroup and run the same program on each workstation, each of which needs to access 3 shares on the server for the program's data files and record locks. The shares are set to everyone with full permissions. WinXp has no problem in supplying all 10 workstations with data from the 3 shared folders yet Win7 falls over everytime by losing connection to the share. It seems that Win7 is counting up each share accesses as a client connection yet it is only 1 client accessing 3 shares. As soon as we get to 21 client connections the shares fall over and the program needing access stops working. This never happened with WinXP and if cannot be corrected means that the maximum number of workstations we can have is 6 (each accessing 3 shares = 18 client connections)
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You may allow up to 20 other devices to access software installed on the licensed computer to use only File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services and

Internet Connection Sharing and Telephony Services.

You can refer to the following:

Limit the Number of Users of a Shared Folder

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753521.aspx#BKMK_interface

Windows 7 incoming connection limit 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/854f3e27-10e5-4629-bb77-007cc5e42b41

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:27 AM
  • Hi Vincent,

Thank you for the reply. What you say is "advertised" in the Win7 EULA but no, I'm afraid we cannot.

We have a 10 workstation network. Each workstation runs stock control software which uses 3 separate (file sharing)shares on the "server" - one for data, one for a common record locking file, and one for batch files which updates the workstation software if necessary and syncs the workstations date and time with the server. We get 5 or 6 connected and start the software, each adds share connections which can be viewed in computer management - shares. In addition we get a few printer shares, IPC$ shares and as soon as we go over 20 share connections, even with only 5 or 6 devices the shares start losing connection. We cannot even get 10 devices connected for file sharing let alone the 20 "advertised" in the EULA. Sure we could consolidate the shared files into one folder but even so with the additional shares required for printers, documents, IPC$, backup, accounts etc (i.e normal computing functionality) with 10 devices connected, probably more than 20 shares connections would be established which would trigger the problem. 

WinXP on the other hand runs all 10 workstations x 3 shares each + printer, documents, IPC$, and backup shares = 38+ share connections without problem.

It is ridiculous that Win7 cannot support as many share connections as XP supported ! The small businesses that I cater for (independent garages) just don't have the computer skills to administer a server OS nor can they afford to have. They want simple P2P networking for up to 10 devices like they used to have with XP.

Unless we've missed a setting somewhere Win7's terminology saying "you may attach up to 20 devices..." seems very misleading at best, fraudulent at worst without a qualifier "...providing you do not have more than one share connection each" !

• Edited by ian100448 Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:24 AM Grammar
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Dear Ian,

I believe you will find a solution to the connection limitation in the link here-under:
    http://www.visualitynq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54 
    Regards,
    Tal
    Monday, June 16, 2014 11:20 AM