none
.NET Runtime version 4.0.30319.1 - There was a failure initializing profiling API attach infrastructure. This process will not allow a profiler to attach. HRESULT: 0x80004005. Process ID (decimal): 4688. Message ID: [0x2509].

Question

• I've got a codec problem on the Home Theater PC. 

We can start playing a show, stop somewhere in the show, watch Live TV (news or whatever), then upon coming back to resume the show or play any other show, we get the error message that Media Center Cannot Open the File.

All I have to do to resolve this is reboot the computer, but it is an Atom processor running Win7 32, so it takes about 15 minutes for Media Center to completely shut down, the PC to reboot, load Windows, enter Media Center, and be ready to go again.

In the Action Center shows 1 message:

There was a problem with the software used for video playback on your computer. The name of the software is ffdshow. This type of software is often referred to as a codec.

But the troubleshooter is unable to solve this.

For codecs, I use the Shark007 with all default settings. It works fine until I let Microsoft Update install anything, and that breaks it. Then, I have to uninstall Shark007, reboot, then reinstall Shark007. [Someone tell Microsoft this is a PITA, please.]

This time, uninstalling the codec pack, rebooting, and reinstalling did not fix the problem.

There are currently 57 of the error messages shown in the title in my Event Viewer for today. The Process ID is always different, I am guessing because a different file is playing.

.NET Runtime version 4.0.30319.1 - There was a failure initializing profiling API attach infrastructure.  This process will not allow a profiler to attach.  HRESULT: 0x80004005.  Process ID (decimal): 1704.  Message ID: [0x2509].

Could anyone offer any help for this?

The computer: ASUS EB1501 (1.6 GHz dual core Atom with 4 GB RAM)

Operating System: Shipped with Windows 7 Premium but used Anytime Upgrade to change it to Windows 7 Ultimate

~Joe

Avoid Sears Home Improvement

Thursday, September 06, 2012 1:34 PM

All replies

• This is not a dev problem, or not your project(dev) problem.

For non-dev problem, please try these forums:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/w7itprogeneral/threads 

And it seems you also using a third party product, maybe their forums help also needed for you.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, September 07, 2012 1:49 AM
  • I've posted until I'm blue in the face on the codec forums, and every one of them always say the same thing: It is a Microsoft issue, and more specifically that this is due to Windows Updates.

The Action Center says there is a problem with ffdshow, but can not seem to tell me what the issue is. There's a problem right there with Windows Development. If the Action Center know there is something wrong, why can't it give me details on what it knows?

Next, there was a .NET 4 profiling API issue. That is very much a Windows Development issue, and not a codec issue.

Typical of Microsoft forums, though. If someone doesn't know the answer, the best thing to do is pass the buck so your "I DON'T KNOW" gets marked as the answer and you get points. Right?

~Joe

Friday, September 07, 2012 1:00 PM
  • Every .Net app could throw out to you such exception message with the API info if it used the API, and does not hidden it or handle it in the codes when an exception has those info.

If you developed something, and have a problem on it, then we can say that it is a development issue, and ask for help here, but if another product(not yours, and you have no source code and the right to research it deeply), then it cannot be say a development issue, it is their product issue, the product's developer will help you research the issue, and then he/she will identify if the code has problem, and this is the development issue, but now you are a user to that application, not a developer to that application.

And if it is off-topic thread, we need move it to off-topic forum, we don't need it marked.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Monday, September 10, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Well, I got my codec problem resolved, and I still get this error message.

The account that is logged in is a limited account, and I have gone through the ACL settings in Win 7 to prevent this user account from being able to delete files (kids often click the Delete button in Media Center instead of the Play/Resume, or Restart buttons).

Could this be causing any of the issues described here?

FYI: I did post this on the other forums, but there are 0 replies there as well. Everyone is baffled by this error message.

~Joe

Monday, September 10, 2012 1:21 PM
  • Though I would like to help you research it, but it is really not a dev issue, it is off-topic here.

Best wishes,

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:09 AM