none
Disable auto search for printer in Add Printer wizard

Question

• START -> Devices and Printers -> Add Printer -> Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer

Immediately after doing the above steps Windows 7 searches and comes back with results.  They are very strange results.  I assumed it was broadcasting the network and finding local network printers, but some of them are for other buildings that have different subnets/broadcast domains.  So it doesn't see to be doing that.  Rarely is the printer you want one of the ones there.

I would like to do one of the following:

1. Disable the searching and just go to the next step where they can choose to search the directory (like they used to always do in Windows XP).
    2. List all of the printers from my print server in the first list. 

All of the printers are already listed in AD and the print server is 2008R2.  We have a couple older ones that are 2003 R2 and they do show some printers but not all.  I just don't know what makes them appear in that location.  Is the a GPO I can use to get this working?

Preferably I'd like to do the second option because the searching can be handy when connecting home printers when it just finds them.

Find this post helpful? Does this post answer your question? Be sure to mark it appropriately to help others find answers to their searches.
    Monday, May 09, 2011 3:57 PM

Answers

• @Leo Huang:  Sorry, but you statement was not true.  Windows 7 does have the functionality to disable just what I was looking for.

As quoted from my other forum post:

To disable the network scan screen entirely when on corporate network:

1. GPMC -> Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> Printers
    2. Edit: "Add Printer wizard - Network scan page (Managed network)"
    3. Select "Disabled"
    4. Click "OK"
    5. Close GPMC edit window

To leave the scan screen but only display Active Directory printers on coporate network:

1. GPMC -> Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> Printers
    3. Select "Enabled"
    4. Set "Number of directory printers" to "200"
    5. Set "Number of TCP/IP printers" to "0"
    6. Set "Number of Web Services Printers" to "0"
    7. Set "Number of Bluetooth printers" to "0"
    8. Set "Number of shared printers" to "0"
    9. Click "OK"
    10. Close GPMC edit window

NOTE: There is "Managed Network" and "Unmanaged Network" settings. I left the Unmanaged network default so users would find their home printers and be able to add them, but only see those approved printers when on the corporate network.

These settings can also be applied in a non-domain/managed network but using "gpedit.msc" instead of GPMC and following the steps above.

Hope this helps someone else also.

Find this post helpful? Does this post answer your question? Be sure to mark it appropriately to help others find answers to their searches.
    • Marked as answer by Chase Roth Friday, May 20, 2011 1:48 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 1:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I’m afraid Windows 7 hasn’t this function to disable search when add printer on network, wireless or Bluetooth. It will search all shared printer on network. That’s a by design behavior.

On earlier version of Windows, like Windows XP, can modify registry to disable automatic search for network printer, but it doesn’t work anymore on Windows 7.

I suggest to contact Windows Server Forum to see if any GPO can be set to realize your goal.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:16 AM
  • A GPO is exactly what I am looking for...thought this qwould be the place for Windows 7 GPO stuff.  I can check with the group you provided.  I'll post back if I hear something there.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:32 PM
  • @Leo Huang:  Sorry, but you statement was not true.  Windows 7 does have the functionality to disable just what I was looking for.

As quoted from my other forum post:

To disable the network scan screen entirely when on corporate network:

3. Select "Disabled"
    4. Click "OK"
    5. Close GPMC edit window

To leave the scan screen but only display Active Directory printers on coporate network:

3. Select "Enabled"
    4. Set "Number of directory printers" to "200"
    5. Set "Number of TCP/IP printers" to "0"
    6. Set "Number of Web Services Printers" to "0"
    7. Set "Number of Bluetooth printers" to "0"
    8. Set "Number of shared printers" to "0"
    9. Click "OK"
    10. Close GPMC edit window

NOTE: There is "Managed Network" and "Unmanaged Network" settings. I left the Unmanaged network default so users would find their home printers and be able to add them, but only see those approved printers when on the corporate network.

These settings can also be applied in a non-domain/managed network but using "gpedit.msc" instead of GPMC and following the steps above.

Hope this helps someone else also.

• Marked as answer by Chase Roth Friday, May 20, 2011 1:48 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Have I misunderstood something here?

I am looking for the solution to the problem of Win 7 reinstalling network printers on every start up. In doing that it assigns wrong drivers to existing printers and asigns one of the new ones default printer, so every print job needs to be manually configured to the preinstalled printers (or new printers removed) to get correctly printed page layout. Also, I cannot change default printers without removing the new ones first.

I set "disabled" through  gpedit.msc for unmanaged network. (It's a peer to peer network, but I tried managed as well.)

This does not fix the problem. They come back with every restart.

How can I stop Win 7 from installing new incorrectly set printers every time it starts up?

Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:13 AM
  • @Chas Roth 

This solution DOES NOT work.

I still have this problem.

I have to go through manual configurations whenever I need to print.

Any other suggestions for getting rid of these bothersome printers would be appreciated.

Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:08 AM
  • @Chas Roth 

This solution DOES NOT work.

I still have this problem.

I have to go through manual configurations whenever I need to print.

Any other suggestions for getting rid of these bothersome printers would be appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.  I think you may need to start a thread better relating to your issue. 

It doesn't sound to me that your issue is the same as this thread, because the steps laid out do work.  The fixes mentioned have nothing to do with whether a printer I installed or updated as you are mentioning.  Rather it is simply about changing what the user sees when they go to the Add Printer wizard.

Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:25 PM