none
Intel Pro1000PT /Hyper-V VM's Not connecting to network

Question

• We have a server with 4 Intel Pro1000PT nic cards in it.  Set up host (server 2012) and teamed nic cards.  Then added Hyper-V and after reboot - moved Server 2012 virtual machine to server.  VM would not connect or ping gateway.  No network connection no matter what I did.  Tried removing Hyper-V, team, rebooting, recreating etc.  No luck.

Co-worker removes Hyper-V and team, reboot, teams nic, and put IP address on IP4 network, subnet, etc address on it.  Then he installed Hyper-V which stripped address, but now virtual machine connects just fine.

Is this by design?  Are Intel Pro1000PT dual-port cards compatible with 2012R2 Hyper-V?  You do NOT put IP address on Virtual Switch do you???

Thanks for your help!  This is to be a production server and need to get it right.

Theresa Greene

PS - we do not run DHCP on this network - all IP's are static.

• Edited by Tgreene5 Monday, December 23, 2013 10:50 PM
    Monday, December 23, 2013 10:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• www.windowsservercatalog.com is the place to check for Windows Server qualified components.  I do not find the PRO/1000 PT on that list.  That's not to say they won't work, but if Intel has not qualified them for 2012 R2, I would hesitate to deploy them into production.

Not enough information in your first paragraph to guess what might have gone wrong.

Putting IP configuration onto NIC before creating virtual switch (this is not putting an IP address on a switch, which is wrong) is no problem.  Yes, the TCP/IP stack is removed from the NIC when the virtual switch stack is added, but Microsoft moves the TCP/IP configuration from the NIC to the virtual NIC when a virtual switch is created that is to be used by the host.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Hi and thank you for your reply!  This is really strange.

Originally I set up a host 2012 server, teamed nics, added Hyer-V, created virtual switch.  I moved some virtual servers to this host.  I had reserved one nic for the host to use.  Rest were on virtual switch.  After moving the virtual servers over, they could not ping gateway or anything.  Could not re-add to domain or get to internet.  Removed Hyper-V, team, reinstalled many times.  No luck.  Co-worker then uninstalled Hyper-V, deleted team, rebooted, recreated team and put an IP address, subnet,G/w on it.  Then he added Hyper-V.  This of course stripped the IP and then created the virtual switch.  After assigning to virtual servers on host, they were able to be added to domain and access internet.  However, if you reboot the host - then the virtual machines can no longer reach the domain or internet.

I think you are right - thank you for the reply!!

Theresa

Theresa Greene

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Hi,

If your NIC not in the certified hardware list, we can’t sure what issue maybe occurs on it, but base on my experience , depend your describe “Originally I set up a host 2012 server, teamed nics ” , please don’t use the intel® teaming software, maybe you can try to setup the Hyper-V role, then team the NIC. Then please confirm your child vms IP setting vlan is same with your physical vlan.

Hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:14 AM
  • I did not use the Intel Teaming software - I know you are supposed to use the Windows Server nic teaming software.  Thank you though. 

We are purchasing new network cards that ARE on the HCL and will let you know how they work out.  I am betting that the Intel Pro1000PT cards do not support the networking in Hyper-V. 

Thanks for your replies.

Theresa Greene

Thursday, December 26, 2013 7:14 PM
  • Hello

Have purchased some network cards that are on the HCL list.  As soon as we get them installed will advise.  I am 99% sure it's the network card.

Thank you to all for the replies.

Theresa

Theresa Greene

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:13 PM
  • It was the cards - purchased some that are on the HCL and they work as they should.  Intel Pro 1000 cards do NOT function correctly in Hyper-V

Theresa Greene

Friday, January 17, 2014 8:17 PM
  • Still Continuing - apparently in switching out network cards there were some "orphaned" Intel network Pro 1000/PT cards left in the host.  This is one thing that was causing issues.  Unfortunately there is no way to delete or uninstall Intel Pro 1000 orphaned network cards.  Per Intel and MS - reload the host.

That is now done - and still having issues getting virtual 2012r2 and 2008r2 machines to connect to domain in Hyper-V.  We are running Windows 2003 Domain Controllers - I'm now guessing I will be upgrading those next.   Event logs say DNS errors, so I am guessing running 2003 DC's won't work.  Functional level is also 2003. 

Microsoft is calling again in the morning

What is the "recommended" Domain Controller version when running Server 2003-2012r2 on a domain?

Thanks

Theresa Greene

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:45 PM