none
PDF rendering extension

Question

• Is it possible to replace on a SSRS 2008 instance the PDF rendering extension with the counterpart in SSRS 2012 or somehow install them side by side?

I just notice that exporting a report to PDF in SSRS 2012 the strike-through decoration is correctly rendered whilst in SSRS 2008 is missing altogether.

I don't think it's a missing font issue because:

- I have the same report deployed to the 2 instances, SSRS 2008 & 2012, that run on the same machine.

- While viewing the reports in the report manager (HTML rendering) the strike-through effect is correctly rendered on both instances.

- Exporting to PDF will correctly rendered the strike-through text only in SSRS 2012

Of course we could upgrade the existing SSRS2008 instance but just wondering if it is possible to somehow work around this issue of the 2008 service.

Thanks in advance!

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• In 2008 there is a work around of sorts which is to output a font that has the strike throughs already in place although this will require installation on all client machines for web render and potentially a faff if included with other text in a string that does not contain strike throughs.

The reason for this is that pdf export does not (to the best of my knowledge) support the export of the strike through and as the pdf expects the parent application in this case ssrs to provide this information in some form or another (I assume via graphical command).

tip: If you do use the work around ensure that you use a font that allow overlaps.

Friday, September 20, 2013 10:47 PM
  • But this is what I was saying, the same server machine, 2 SSRS instances, 2008 & 2012, the same report, deployed on both instances, when exporting to pdf, the one in 2008 won't render the strike-through text while the other will render it fine. So I was asking if there is a way to make use of the 2012 PDF rendering extension in 2008? I have both pdf files but unfortunately cannot upload them to get my point across.
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:25 AM
  • No it is not possible to use the 2012 PDF rendering extension in 2008, my answer above was a workaround to emulate the effect you described
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:08 AM
  • Thanks for clarifying;

I will mark it as answer however this workaround does not work for us.

• Marked as answer by Iulian Ilies Monday, September 23, 2013 2:22 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Iulian Ilies Monday, September 23, 2013 2:22 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 2:22 PM