none
Replacing dead SBS 2003 with 2008 R2 (using same domain name)

Question

• I had a customer who used a SBS 2003 for the longest time in the world until it died last week.  I'll be putting in a new server this weekend that will have Windows 2008 R2 on it.

My question is:  before their SBS 2003 died off, their domain name was called "adams"

What issues do you think I'll run up against on the desktops - IF I use the same domain name on the new server - while every desktop still thinks it is part of the "adams" domain?  I've never tried this before (old AD server dies off, never remove client computers from dead domain, and pop in a new server w/the same domain name), but I can't think of any issues.  As long as I have all the user accounts correct (and their passwords).

What do you think?  Any technical issues I should be looking out for?  Unforeseen issues I could stumble upon?

Thanks

Friday, July 26, 2013 4:58 AM

Answers

• Hello,

if that broken SBS was the ONLY DC in the domain and there is no backup available you are lost. Even using the smae domain name will NOT give existing machines/users access to a new installed domain with the same name.

The domain SID(security identifier) will be different.

All user accounts, OU, structure, GPOs etc. MUST be created new and user have to use the NEW user account to logon to there machines. This will create a new local profile and they have by default NO access to the old profile anymore.

ONLY the local administrator can access this and should be able to copy, either the important data or the profile, to the new created profile after the user has logged in once via system properties, advanced, user profiles(settings button).

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:01 AM

All replies

• Hello,

if that broken SBS was the ONLY DC in the domain and there is no backup available you are lost. Even using the smae domain name will NOT give existing machines/users access to a new installed domain with the same name.

The domain SID(security identifier) will be different.

All user accounts, OU, structure, GPOs etc. MUST be created new and user have to use the NEW user account to logon to there machines. This will create a new local profile and they have by default NO access to the old profile anymore.

ONLY the local administrator can access this and should be able to copy, either the important data or the profile, to the new created profile after the user has logged in once via system properties, advanced, user profiles(settings button).

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:01 AM
  • Is was the only server in the company (about 10-11 users).  I think I had one GPO for WSUS only.

Right now, I have them on temporary life support.  Basically took the drive out of the server that actually had all the user files and other data - attached that into a spare computer.  Shared it out and re-mapped drives for the all the user to access.  They've all been able to still log into the computer using their domain credentials due to caching.

What I'm going to do is give the new server a new domain name.  Get the users temporary hooked up to that new server (not into the domain - just a few manually mapped drives).  I'll do the server this weekend.  Then next week, I'm starting to replace all desktops w/new computers.  I think then I'll join them to the new domain and not mess around with their current workstations, since this computers are going out anyhow.

Meinolf - Thank you so much for your answer.  Helps me understand a lot better.  Much appreciated.

Friday, July 26, 2013 2:46 PM