none
OWA infecting virus in client computers Java/CVE-2011-3544.gen!osx

Question

• I have a MS Exchange Server 2003 standard edition with latest Service Pack installed. Since last 3 weeks I have noticed that when one tried to go to Outlook Web Access using the URL on the logon page Java platform (standard edition) loads on the right side bottom of screen. (This did not used to happen earlier). Once the user enters the user name and password MS Security essential would popup with a message saying Exploit:Java/CVE-2011-3544.gen!osx Alert Level SEVERE and asks me to remove the malware. I have scanned the exchange server with almost all of available antivirus softwares and tools but none of them found a single infection. Gurus please help me resolve this issue.

thanks in advance.

Friday, March 30, 2012 7:42 PM

All replies

• Hi VikRock,

If you installed Java App on the Exchange server, please remove it.

About the malware Java/CVE-2011-3544.gen!osx, please see:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Exploit%3AJava%2FCVE-2011-3544.gen!osx

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 02, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply. I checked the Exchange server and there is no where Java installed on it. Another symptom is that when the OWA logon page loads the Java SE loads on client computer. So is that supposed to happen? Coz I don't remember it opening earlier. Does OWA need Java to run properly? Also after that Java thing loads, when the user enters his/her user name and password, even if it is exactly correct entered, the first attempt always fails and the user is able to get in on the second attempt. But the virus message still continues to show.

thanks.

Monday, April 02, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Are you sure the issue isn;t with the client rather than the Exchange server.  Exch doesn't need Java for OWA access.  Scan the client PC and check.

Sukh

Sunday, April 08, 2012 5:10 PM