none
After the initial replications start, can I manually add to the replica on the DPM server?

Question

• Hello,

I have a server that is under DPM protection that has 2 TB of data I'd like to protect.  The site location has a 40Mbps link and I thought I'd be able to transfer most of that data during the weekend using "on the wire" compression and no bandwidth throttling.

The replication is taking longer than expected.  I understand you're initially given the option to create a manual replication set to an external hard drive to import directly into the DPM server-- however, I've already started the replication process automatically.

Is there a way to run another replica, just like a manual, import them (using the proper options to not to overwrite existing files) and then wait as everything gets sorted out over the next few consistency checks?

You know... to sort of speed things up?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Matthew J. Fazio

Monday, August 26, 2013 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It does not matter if you manually copy the file data from the protected server while doing a manual load or after an Initial Replica is initiated, the steps will be the same.  Manually copy the data to the replica volume, then run a Consistency Check to reconcile differences.  Once the CC completes, then true block level change backups will start.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, August 26, 2013 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It does not matter if you manually copy the file data from the protected server while doing a manual load or after an Initial Replica is initiated, the steps will be the same.  Manually copy the data to the replica volume, then run a Consistency Check to reconcile differences.  Once the CC completes, then true block level change backups will start.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, August 26, 2013 3:28 PM
  • OK, that sounds good-- but another question.

If we copy the data and import to DPM using a USB drive, and we're running the WAN replication using "on the wire compression" how does the uncompressed USB data reconcile with the compressed over-the-wire data?

Matthew J. Fazio

Monday, August 26, 2013 6:17 PM
  • Hi

When you enable "on the wire compression" - the DPM agent on the protected server compresses the data before sending it. The DPM agent on the DPM server receives it in compressed form and un-compresses it before writing the data to the replica.  So basically the data is only in a compressed state while "on the wire".

Monday, August 26, 2013 6:36 PM
  • OK, great, thank you for your help!

Matthew J. Fazio

Monday, August 26, 2013 6:37 PM