none
Windows/Microsoft Update causes svchost.exe to run CPU at 99%

Question

• And the update site just goes on forever. Used Mr, Fixit, did not fix update issue, and says missing or corrupt files on the history think. Update site says I never had updates. Real funny. I saved from mr fix it, but they are unreadable.

Have had this computer since it was new in 2003, never had this happen before.

• Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Version 2002
    • Norton Virus & Firewall for 5 years
    • Gateway Computer
    • 2 Gigs of ram
    • IE 8

Recently turned off auto update because it ran real long. So I set it to notify only. Did not stop the process. Tried CCleaner, have run it many years ago, downloded their new version cleaned files and reg, Computer sped up quite nicely. but was wondering why in the past couple of weeks I had no notices of updates available. Tried manualy, then that is when it all started. Going to try the manual resetting from this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 soon if no Solution is found. Less then a year on XP left, but got to give this one to my Grand Daughter for her school work,

Thanks For Any Help.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:57 AM

Answers

• Problem Solved!

Problem; IE8 Causes the malfunction in updates+svchost

Temperary Solution; MS IE Update 2888505 Released 11-12-2013

Fix; MS IE Update 2898785 Released 12-10-2013

Go to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/security/dn481339

Scroll down to Product/Cmponent , look for Windows Internet Explorer 8, select date range from November 1st thru todays date. Click on Search by Product or Component, Scroll down and Click on and Download 2888505 and install & reboot(unless already installed). Then go back and Click on and Download 2898785 and install & reboot. Now you should be able to click on Windows/Microsoft Updates, and get all the remaining updates to download and install as usual.

NOTE: After your search, clicking on the download will take you to a new page where you will need to scroll down and find your Internet Explorer and operating system, then click on the highlighted numbered download link which will take you to the download page for that update.

• Marked as answer by GambitMaster Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:44 AM
    • Edited by GambitMaster Monday, December 30, 2013 8:48 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

A few weeks ago, I have tested a fresh Windows XP installation and encountered the same issue with Windows Update. When I start the Windows Update, it took about 2 hours before it generates a list of available updates.

I will suggest that you start the Windows Update and let it run for, maybe, 2-3 hours.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Tas Chew

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:04 AM
  • Tried that already, went and watched a show, came back and finally updates were showing. But instanlty after clicking install, showed updates failed. Last time I had a simular problem was when some how my time on the computer was set days ahead of actual time. But it is set correctly.

It also explained why none of the previous updates in history of updates were absent. Wierd! either XP`s update site has a bad hack in it, or somebody is sleeping on the job for the fix.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:21 AM
  • Had a nice scare, computer started to freeze then come back after killing the svchost process, Then unplugged it because it would not respond to shutting it down. Then all it did was restart to the window booting screen  to choose start normally, are safe mode but either choice it kept restarting after seeing the windows booting screen. Finally did a chkdsk from the OScd, and it restarted woh! thought I lost it all. But still have the smae problem when checking for updates. So I learned the hard way that chkdsk will not solve the svchost update problem.

So killing the svchost is just stopping the updates. They are one in the same. And killing the process just makes IE 8 different like in safe mode almost.

I dont know what else to do, maybe the manual resetting of WU

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Well it`s not a virus that causes it to run forever, downloaded Nov, 2013 Microsoft malicious software removal tool and did a Full System scan. Plus! Did a Full System Scan with Norton, which was 5 hours of fun, not!

The cause is windows update-Read this New Story- http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/windows-xp-update-locks-machines-svchost-redlined-100-fix-it-kb-2879017-230733?source=rss_#disqus_thread

But nothing works that they suggest. Microsoft apparently thinks people are made of money and should go buy a new system and quit whining about XP. Well some of us including people fighting for your freedom and Country can`t afford to fall prey to your lack of responsibility just because you think we should have upgraded already.

How about keeping your word to your customers about supporting your OS until April, 2014???

Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:39 PM
  • This update stops the svchost.exe from going crazy. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41074 After downloading& installing this update, I clicked on windows/microsoft update and it went pretty fast, but on clicking to install updates it again went straight to saying updates failed. Now I will try to manually down load these updates showing failed.

Microsoft finally say`s they are addressing the problem-http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-fix-windows-xp-update-svchost-redline-issue-soon-230940

Friday, November 15, 2013 3:04 PM
  • After downloading and installing KB2888505, then checking Windows update to see what updates it`s failing to install, XP`s KB2862152, KB2868626, KB2876331, KB2900986 & Microsoft Office 2007 KB2760415 and Installing them manually. Rechecking Microsoft update shows no more critical updates. And history still shows these as listed to install with no account for installs earlier than these. I`ll say it again, I hope their up coming fix fixes the history part of update too.

Friday, November 15, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Well it`s not a virus that causes it to run forever, downloaded Nov, 2013 Microsoft malicious software removal tool and did a Full System scan. Plus! Did a Full System Scan with Norton, which was 5 hours of fun, not!

The cause is windows update-Read this New Story- http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/windows-xp-update-locks-machines-svchost-redlined-100-fix-it-kb-2879017-230733?source=rss_#disqus_thread

But nothing works that they suggest. Microsoft apparently thinks people are made of money and should go buy a new system and quit whining about XP. Well some of us including people fighting for your freedom and Country can`t afford to fall prey to your lack of responsibility just because you think we should have upgraded already.

How about keeping your word to your customers about supporting your OS until April, 2014???

For business, MS will support Windows XP beyond April 2014 with a pay support. Many business are taking that road right now.

Did you try to manual install the updates?

I appreciate your info on XP, But As I stated, I knew of the soon to be extinct Support for XP. As for paying for continued support, no thanks. I believe we paid enough when we bought it. As I said before, This will become my Grand Daughters PC for her home work. And Me and my Wife will use the Laptop that has Vista on it. Probably will not buy another PC untill I see a major change/difference Microsoft`s OS`s. Because right now they are not that different. Except for processors, touch screens, and memory.

Yes I did install them Manually, as you can read in my other post.

Friday, November 15, 2013 4:40 PM
  • No updates available since manualy installing the updates from previous post. 2 weeks, still no finale word or fix from Microsoft. Sad!
    Tuesday, December 03, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Problem Solved!

Scroll down to Product/Cmponent , look for Windows Internet Explorer 8, select date range from November 1st thru todays date. Click on Search by Product or Component, Scroll down and Click on and Download 2888505 and install & reboot(unless already installed). Then go back and Click on and Download 2898785 and install & reboot. Now you should be able to click on Windows/Microsoft Updates, and get all the remaining updates to download and install as usual.

NOTE: After your search, clicking on the download will take you to a new page where you will need to scroll down and find your Internet Explorer and operating system, then click on the highlighted numbered download link which will take you to the download page for that update.

• Marked as answer by GambitMaster Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:44 AM
    • Edited by GambitMaster Monday, December 30, 2013 8:48 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:44 AM
  • GambitMaster, I just want to say thank you.

This is the 3rd computer I have had this problem with.  I ended up throwing the first one away after hours of research, even wiping and rebuilding.

Thank you for taking the time to share your solution.  It worked.

Mike

Monday, December 16, 2013 12:29 PM
  • Glad to help!
    Monday, December 16, 2013 3:45 PM
  • I was having the same problem on an XP Workstation - these two update packages seemed to have fixed the issue. Thanks GambitMaster :)
    Friday, December 20, 2013 12:20 PM
  • Problem Solved!

"Scroll down and Click on and Download 2888505". I've followed the instrucitons above, but I've looked all over the place but can't figure out how I shall download the patch for XP????

Isn't it available anymore for XP?

MWebjorn

Thursday, December 26, 2013 7:53 PM
  • Are you selecting the correct date range? needs to be from Nov 1st thru todays date. I did it and see it. And I did not write to simply "Scroll down and Click on and Download 2888505". you need to  read the instructions again.
    Friday, December 27, 2013 5:11 PM
  • The problem is not that the selection doesn't show any result. That works, and I get

12/10/2013 MS13-097 2898785 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer  Critical

11/12/2013 MS13-088 2888505 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer  Critical
    If I for instance click on the second "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer" line then http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/MS13-088opens up.  But I can't find any link there to where to download the security update.

But if I go to "Security Update Deployment/Windows XP (all editions)/Security update file names" and then Google on the filename then I get to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41074 where I can download the patch. But it was not obvious that this is the way to find out where to download the patch.

MWebjorn

Friday, December 27, 2013 10:09 PM
  • yep!

D/l these updates, and it works and can install other updates.  Thanks!

R

Sunday, December 29, 2013 11:19 PM
  • Oh, sorry!

After clicking on any one of the updates, you scroll down to the Internet explorer you have and the matching OS(operating system) and click on that link, it will take you to the download page.

After this and I get

12/10/2013 MS13-097 2898785 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer  Critical

11/12/2013 MS13-088 2888505 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer  Critical

Example what I did: scrolled down and found, Internet Explorer 8, Windows XP Service pack 3, and clicked on the # link that`s highlighted in blue, and went to the download page.

Monday, December 30, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Ok. Tanks. Now I can see how to get to the patch. Thou a few lines of text as a header would help for other poor chaps who run into the same problem.

MWebjorn

Monday, December 30, 2013 9:06 PM
  • I updated my answer, so if they look here, should be no problem
    Monday, December 30, 2013 9:35 PM
  • I too have been struggling with this issue for several days.   I dowloaded and installed the two updates you listed and was pleased that the windows update site no longer got hung up by svchost .exe.  In fact 11 critical updates wer found..   HOWEVER upon trying to install they all failed with error code 0x80246008!  Do you have any more insight to this issue?

I feel I have made a large gain on this problem - THANKS TO YOU..

hdn2

• Proposed as answer by kadair123 Sunday, January 05, 2014 7:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by kadair123 Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:57 AM
    Thursday, January 02, 2014 3:07 AM
  • Got to same spot as you. Discovered BITS service was not running in services. Repaired mine by re-installing BITS. Make sure you test auto start to be sure BITS starts. I followed instructions found in this forum by searching first the error code and then BITS missing in xp. Found in was not running in my services. 

Turned auto update back on and downloaded and installed 11 critical updates. one other after a restart. Now all working good again. Fix it should have been able to tell me BITS was not installed. But it did not.
    • Edited by kadair123 Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:52 AM more info
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:46 AM
  • I have this same issue but I have checked my XP systems and they have both of these updates already installed.  Unfortunately there has been no change.  Anyone else have an answer or a work around that does not involve turning off Automatic Updates?  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ron

Monday, January 13, 2014 4:52 PM
  • You might try turning off auto update and using ie to see if you still have the problem or not.  I had to re-install the cumulative updates manually. Then I had to re-install BITS in services.

Note: turning off auto updates and using ie, you can free up the CPU be closing ie. This is temporary so you can troubleshoot better!

Keith

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:03 PM