none
To Take ownership of C drive in windows 2008 R2

Question

• As per customer standard requirement, we need to apply Audit Failure to everyone on C drive.  I could not able to apply the settings and Hence i tried to take owership of C drive.  I get the error stating "Unable to set New Onwer on Local Disk (C:). Access is denied.  Anyone could plz help me here?
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:32 PM

Answers

• It get worst as it corrupted the boot loader.  I can map and did took ownership and set Everyone to audit policy.  But later when i tried to boot the server it never cameup as it struck as boot loader corrupt errror....

disk manager can attach a VHD and VHDX file and that is about the best you will get to recover files

if it will not boot, it could be 1001 things wrong

so make a new VM and start fresh and use whatever you can recover, next time, make backups

Corsair Carbide 300R with window & Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V

Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI & AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz & G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB 

GTX 260 SLI 216 core (GT200 Tesla) & Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p

ST2000DM001 & Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the Only Way to Play

• Marked as answer by Ted Xie Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:52 AM
    Friday, July 05, 2013 4:03 PM

All replies

• There are a number of things that can cause this behavior. A couple things to try; go to your task manager, and go to your 'services'. Right click on "WMPNetworkSvc" and stop the service (this will take a few seconds). Attempt to take ownership and make the audit policy changes you require. If it doesn't work, try looking in the descriptions and stop any process that has the word 'sharing' in it. Make sure to reenable the services once the file has been deleted.

Also, make sure your user account is a member of the administrators group, or any group that has administrative access to the server, in order to make the required changes.

Kind Regards,
    Loren

If you found this comment to be the solution or helpful, consider marking it as such below.
    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.  I do have domain Admin rights as well as i tried via local Administrator Group.  And i have also tried to stop the disable the service as mentioned by you..  But Still i could not able to take owership of C drive and problem still persist.
      Also tried with local Administrator ID, Removed server out of the Domain and tired with Local Administrator ID and ends up with same error.....I could not take owner permission nor could add everyone to Audit settings.. But i can able to make changes within sub folder of C drive ie Windows/system32 etc....
    • Edited by Kadhir Wednesday, July 03, 2013 7:32 PM Update with different try
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 6:24 PM
  • Yes....i have and i tried to take ownership with local Admin ID too...but ends up with same error...

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 7:24 PM
  • Sorry if i miss to mention earlier.  It is Virtual Machine...

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:01 PM
  • > we need to apply Audit Failure to everyone on C drive

Try using Auditpol [0] from an elevated command prompt.

[0] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731451(v=ws.10).aspx

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:16 PM
  • It get worst as it corrupted the boot loader.  I can map and did took ownership and set Everyone to audit policy.  But later when i tried to boot the server it never cameup as it struck as boot loader corrupt errror....
    Friday, July 05, 2013 3:37 PM